Is using a foam roller the key to sustained exercise success? There are many who think so because of their ability to decrease muscle soreness either before or after a workout. However, is foam rolling for you? Today, I am going to look at and review a TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller to see if we can’t answer that very question.
Before we get to that, though, let’s take a look at foam rolling itself.
According to Master of Muscle, the act of using foam rollers began in the physical therapy realm in the late 1980s. The idea was to give people a self-massaging tool. Since that time, they have become an incredibly popular addition to both athletes and novices’ training regimens.
Even my wife, who was a Division III college tennis player, remembers one of her teammate having to go to the training room to get her muscles rolled out.
According to Healthline, there are several benefits that may go along with using a foam roller, either before or after exercise:
- Decrease Muscle Soreness: Using a foam roller can help to increase circulation to your various muscles. Increased circulation means more oxygen is being brought to the muscle, and therefore brings about faster healing after a tough workout.
- Increase in Range of Motion: Foam rolling, in combination with static stretching (though I, and others, wouldn’t recommend static stretching before a workout), may help to increase your flexibility.
- Decrease in Muscle Tension: One of the reasons for this is because adding foam rolling into your routine is basically the equivalent of getting a massage. Who doesn’t want that?
If it is now clear to you that foam rolling is a worthy addition to anyone’s fitness routine, the question you might now be asking is, “Which foam roller is the right one for me?”
With all that said, allow me to present to you, what I think, is one of the best foam rollers out there for a budget-friendly price: A TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller.
The Overview – What, How Much, And Where To Buy
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (Now on sale and with Free Shipping!)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (with 7,380 reviews)
Specs and Features
TriggerPoint is a company that specializes in bringing massage therapy tools into the home so that anyone, no matter what age, size, or ability, can experience its amazing benefits.
Their products are designed with the input from fitness professionals and several chiropractors, so that they can be of the best quality and effectiveness. They also have a passion for education, which is why they also offer courses on the benefits of massage therapy in athletics.
In addition to foam rollers, they also offer hand-held massage tools as well as massage balls.
You can learn more about the company by visiting their “Our Story” section. To look at their list of professionals, you can visit the “Master Trainers” section. Lastly, to browse the full range of products, you can visit the TriggerPoint homepage.
A TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller has several features that would please anyone who is looking to get a great combination of therapy styles in one package. These features include:
- The way the roller is designed allows for the maximum amount of oxygen-carrying blood flow to reach your muscles and speed the process of healing.
- Though hollow, this roller won’t break with repeated use. In fact, it can support up to 500lbs! It also allows it to be more firm since the whole roller isn’t made of foam. A benefit I see as well is that the hollow core makes it easier to transport.
- At 13 inches long and 5.5 inches wide, it is small enough to take with you wherever you may need to go, but big enough to hit all the sore muscle spots you may have. It’s great for the legs, arms, back, and sides!
- The GRID foam roller features three different textures that give you a different feel depending on your placement. These include:
- High and Firm ridges that attempt to mimic the feel of a massage therapist’s fingertips.
- Tubular to mimic the feel of a therapist’s fingers.
- Low and Flat to mimic the feel of a massage therapist’s palm.
- Not sure how to go about foam rolling? That’s no problem as your order comes with access to a free video library where you will find instructions put together by experts to help you get the most out of your roller.
- TriggerPoint is designed by fitness and medical professionals and is used by them and athletes everywhere. It is a quality product with a great reputation in the fitness industry.
- The GRID roller also comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty, so that if anything goes wrong (which it shouldn’t because of the quality), you are covered.
Other than the list of great features above, there is also a bit of customization involves as you can choose from an assortment of five colors (each slightly different in sale price) including:
While I have highlighted a few of the benefits above, it is worth going over them again, as well as why I am so impressed with the TriggerPoint GRID:
- Durable: If you have read any of my other reviews, you know that when it comes to products, I look for ones that are not only budget-friendly, but of great quality as well. I wouldn’t want to purchase or recommend anything that is going to break easily and be a waste of your hard-earned money.
- Easy to Use: No matter whether you are a beginner or a high level athlete, you can get great results from the GRID. The fact that they also include FREE access toinstructional videos is great for someone just getting into the practice of foam rolling. You can tell they have a passion for education by offering those at no extra charge.
- Effective: The three different textures and overall design are really geared toward giving you the best massage and increase of blood flow to problem areas. That means you will get results and relief quickly, which makes you less likely to take a day off because of being in too much pain. Having the ability to stay on track is huge!
- Trusted: The fact that TriggerPoint has made it crucial to have input and direct involvement from so many fitness and medical professionals tells me that I am getting the best of the best, backed by research and science instead of hearsay. That is a huge comfort.
- Price: When compared to what you would spend to get a sports massage at a spa, there really is no comparison. Not many people have the money or time to do that, so to be given the ability to get great results from the comfort of your own home is wonderful.
To be perfectly honest, there really isn’t much that is bad to say about owning a TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller. It’s versatility and price point are great. However, I am still going to look at both sides of the coin here. A few minor concerns include:
- Beginner’s Might Get Lost: If you are new to foam rolling and don’t take advantage of the free videos provided, you won’t be able to effectively use these. There is some time that needs to be taken to educate yourself.
- Another Thing to Do: This is not the tool for those who usually skip stretching and recovery techniques after a workout. It takes time to roll out your muscles just like it takes time to stretch. It is well-worth it, but some may not have the time or desire to. You will only get out of the GRID what you put in.
- Uncomfortable: If there is one thing I know about foam rolling (and any deep tissue sport massage), it’s that they can be very uncomfortable. Manipulating muscle in order to increase blood flow does not feel like a light massage. The results are worth it, but some people’s tolerance of discomfort may vary. Know what you are getting into.
A Review Of The Reviews
We have finally come to the point in this review of a TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller where it is time to look at public opinion. As always, it’s one thing for me to say what I think, but taking a look at the crowd is sometimes extremely helpful, especially because they consumers just like you, who are looking for a quality product.
Therefore, we have come to our Amazon Star-Rating Breakdown! Let’s get to it!
Out of 7,380 Total Reviews:
- 3,114 5-Star Reviews (84%)
- 442 4-Star Reviews (9%)
- 135 3-Star Reviews (3%)
- 60 2-Star Reviews (1%)
- 70 1-Star Reviews (2%)
Looking at public opinion, it is quite clear that most customers have been ecstatic when it comes to owning a TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller.
The complaints that I saw had a lot to do with the roller being too hard for their liking. Make sure you look back at my cons section. Foam rolling can be uncomfortable, but it’s benefits are incredible!
The Verdict – Roll Out
Purchasing a TriggerPoint GRID Foam Roller is a decision that could really benefit your exercise recovery game. While it may be uncomfortable to begin with, like anything else, you can get used to it.
I think once you get educated with the online videos and start using it and seeing results, that will be the only proof you need.
Now it’s your turn! What do you think of the GRID Foam Roller? Have you used one before? What has been your experience with using foam rollers in general? I’m curious to hear what you have to say as far as the level of discomfort and the results that you got.
Let me know what you think, as well as any questions you might have, in the comments below!
If you feel the GRID is right for you and you are ready to purchase, feel free to click any one of the product links above or below to be taken right to the correct page!
Additionally, if you are looking for workouts that would necessitate getting a foam roller, check out this 10 week fitness routine that I designed!
Here are a couple of links to some equipment that might help you work those muscles as well:
- Bodylastics Resistance Bands
- Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine
- Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- The Perfect Pushup
I look forward to hearing from you all! If you found this or any of the other articles on this site helpful, why not click one or more of the share buttons found on the page? It helps support the site and keeps me able to put out more content for you to enjoy!
Until next time, God bless and happy workouts!