If there is one thing all of us need, it’s a better breakfast. Do you find yourself grabbing something unhealthy on the go (if at all) or maybe just a cup of coffee before dashing out the door? Looking for a better breakfast that won’t take up half the morning to make? Well, look no further than Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli Cereal!
Whether cold or hot, on its own or mixed with other ingredients you’ve got on hand, this is a cereal that is packed with whole grain nutrition, a little of sweetness, and a lot of convenience.
I know it is tough these days, with how readily available unhealthy breakfast options have become. There seems to be a Dunkin Donuts or McDonald’s everywhere you look. While these may be fine for a treat, daily stops can be hard on both the waistline and the wallet.
That’s why I am such a big proponent of making meals (breakfast, lunch, or dinner) at home with either simple ingredients I put together, or with products I know are high quality.
When I do that, I know exactly what is going in my body and have a much greater amount of control over what kind of nutrition I am getting.
In this case, I love what goes into this readily available cereal. Keep reading to find out about all the goodness inside!
The Overview – What, How Much, And Where To Buy
The Product: Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli 40oz
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (including Free Shipping on the 40oz 4-pack)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (with 1,950 reviews)
Specs and Features – What You Can Expect
If you are wondering what muesli is, then you would not be the only one. When I first head the term, let’s just say it sounded a little too much like mucous for my interest to be piqued. However, I had heard people rave about it, so I decided to give it a shot.
According to Bob’s Red Mill’s website, muesli is a type of cereal that is a mix of grains, nuts, and fruit that can be eaten either hot or cold, in liquid or dry. It was created by a Swiss nutritionist doctor named, Maximilian Bircher-Benner, in the late 1800s. He gave it to his patients to help them live healthier lives.
As for Bob’s Red Mill, the company was founded by the husband and wife team of Bob and Charlee Moore in 1978. Charlee had a desire to create a healthier lifestyle for her family, and thus began to incorporate more fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains into their diets.
They started the first Bob’s Red Mill store, which quickly took off in their local community of Milwaukie, Oregon. Since then, the employee-owned company has grown significantly, to the point where you can find their products in many grocery stores, nationwide.
To read more about Bob and the story of the mill, check out their website page dedicated to the topic!
They produce flours, bread mixes, pancake mixes, hot cereals, assorted grains, beans, and of course, a line of muesli.
The Old Country Style Muesli is a hearty mix of:
- Whole Grains: Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Rye, Barley, Whole Grain Oats, and Whole Grain Triticale (a type of wheat) provide a boost of filling fiber and long-lasting energy and many more benefits (Source: Health.com).
- Dried Fruits: Dates and Raisins provide a nice touch of chewy sweetness as well as nutrition in the form of fiber and antioxidants (Source: Healthline.com).
- Nuts and Seeds: Sunflower Seeds, Flaxseeds, Almonds, and Walnuts up the protein, fiber, and Omega-3 content.
As for its nutritional profile for a 2,000 calorie diet, each 1/4 cup serving yields the following results:
- Calories: 140
- Total Fat: 3g (4% DV)
- Saturated Fat: 0g (0% DV)
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV)
- Sodium 0mg (0% DV)
- Total Carbohydrates: 23g (8% DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 4g (14% DV)
- Total Sugar: 5g (0g added sugar)
- Protein: 4g
Now, as for serving suggestions, you can have it several ways.
The first (and my preferred method) is hot with either water or your favorite type of milk as the liquid component (milk for me). The second is cold with either yogurt, milk, or (interestingly) fruit juice. The third is what they call “Swiss Style” which has you mixing the muesli with yogurt and a grated apple and letting it sit, overnight, in the fridge.
I purchased Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli and was immediately impressed by several key aspects of the cereal:
- Whole Grain Goodness: I have been a big supporter of incorporating whole grains into diets for a long time now. Their nutritional profile is outstanding and the energy they give almost can’t be beat. This Muesli provides 5 varieties of grains and 17g or more of whole grains per serving! That’s nearly half the recommended daily amount.
- Nuts for Nuts: I add nuts to a lot of things I make, whether it is oatmeal or muffins. I love the crunch and depth of flavor that add to any meal, and this is no different.
- Chewy Fruit: I am a big fan of raisins and dates. I am always adding raisins (just like nuts) to my oatmeal or cereal as I love the sweetness they add. Having dates on top of that is icing on the cake.
- Bang For Your Buck: The particular deal that is currently on Amazon is four 40oz resealable packages. Each package contains 32 servings. That takes care of over 4 months of breakfast IF you have it every day. If you don’t, you can stretch it out even longer, also stretching your money!
- Versatile and Customizable: At 140 calories, it won’t be blowing up any diets, however, those looking to add calories to their daily routines can easily do so by adding more different types of milk, nuts, seeds, or fruit. It can also be added to recipes to up their nutritional profile.
- No Added Sugar: If there is one thing that sinks a lot of granola-type breakfast foods, it’s added sugar. I mean, just look at how much is in Rasin Bran Crunch for goodness’ sake! No added sugar to begin with leaves a little wiggle room for you to add your own touch of sweetness later.
- Fiber: We have all heard by now that the one thing most people don’t get enough of is fiber. If you want to be regular and help out your digestive system, you need the stuff, and this Old Country Style Muesli has a really good amount of it!
- Quick and Convenient: With the ability of make it in the microwave or even the night before, it’s not going prevent you from getting out of the door and on your way to work in the morning!
As always, I like to give both sides of the story so that you get the most honest opinion in order to make a more informed purchasing decision. There was just one thing I didn’t enjoy about my experience with Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli:
- Bland On Its Own: While no added sugar is a good thing, whole grains have a tendency to be a bit bland on their own. I noticed this in my bites that didn’t have a raisin or date in them. I found that adding a touch of brown sugar helped immensely. Of course, it was no longer “no sugar added”, but I don’t think I destroyed all the positives with my addition.
A Review Of The Reviews
It’s one thing to take my word for it, but I always like to provide a look at how others have viewed a product. Therefore, here is the Amazon star breakdown for Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli.
Out of 1,950 Total Reviews:
- 1,620 5-Star Reviews (83%)
- 176 4-Star Reviews (8%)
- 51 3-Star Reviews (4%)
- 26 2-Star Reviews (2%)
- 38 1-Star Reviews (3%)
I like to review products that have a lot of reviews because I think it gives a better cross-section overall of the consensus. As you can see here, the reviews are overwhelmingly positive to the tune of a 4 and 5 star combined 91% positive rating!
The Verdict – Up Your Breakfast Game
Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli Cereal would be a great addition to anyone’s diet, whether you are looking to lose weight or simply bring more whole grains to your table. I believe from firsthand experience that it is a quality product from a family/employee owned and operated company.
If you are convinced and would like to purchase your own supply of muesli, feel free to click on any of the provided links in the post above, or on the official Amazon link at the end of this article.
Now it’s your turn! What do you think of Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli? Have you tried muesli before?
What do you think of this particular set of ingredients? Is there anything you would add or take away?
What is your go-to breakfast when you are on the go in the morning?
Feel free to let me know your thoughts in the comments as well as any questions you may have, either about Bob’s muesli or nutrition in general! I will make every effort to get back to you in a timely manner.
If you enjoyed this post please take the time to share on your social media! You might also enjoy some others that go over ways to help fuel your body:
That’s all for now! God bless and happy workouts everyone!