Kettlebell workouts are an incredible way to build strength, but much like other free weights, you usually need to purchase a whole set in order to get a good weight range. However, with the introduction of the Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell, the need for more than one kettlebell has been made a thing of the past!
Bowflex has taken the same all-in-one technology used for their SelectTech Dumbbells (which I extensively reviewed HERE) and brought it to the world of kettlebells.
You may be wondering what makes kettlebells different from dumbbells or other free weights and why you should spend money on this specialized piece of equipment, which is totally fair.
While it is true that you can use kettlebells for many of the same exercises you can do with dumbbells, according to Daily Burn, there is one particular, advantageous difference.
Kettlebells are not balanced like dumbbells and when this is combined with certain types of exercise movements (such as pendulum swings), your body has to work extremely hard to stabilize the ever-changing center of gravity.
According to VeryWellFit, kettlebells can also provide a cardio boost, since the movements are more complex. Additionally, using Kettlebells can benefit you in the following ways:
- Increase your functional movement strength (your everyday movements).
- Build a stronger grip, which can help with other exercises such as pull-ups (Check out my review of a great Power Tower if you are looking to increase pull-up strength!).
- Less impact on the joints and more effective for some larger muscle groups.
If you are interested in any of these benefits (and who wouldn’t be?) make sure to keep reading to find out all the details of these SelectTech kettlebells!
The Overview – What And Where To Buy
The Product: The Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (Available with FREE SHIPPING!)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (with 6,384 reviews!)
Specs and Features
Bowflex, as a company, has been manufacturing fitness equipment since 1986. Their desire has always been to bring gym-quality equipment into the home, making fitness both effective and convenient. That is where their motto of “Be Fit For Life” comes from. If you want to read more about the company, CLICK HERE for their About Bowflex page.
If you would rather just browse their main website or check out some other products they offer, CLICK HERE.
Regarding the 840 SelectTech Kettlebell, it has some awesome features to enhance your workout. The first of these is that, as the name suggests, you have a weight range of 8lbs all the way up to 40lbs in one piece of equipment. This is due to the same turn-of-the-dial adjustable design found in the SelectTech Dumbbells.
This feature allows for you to quickly and easily add or decrease the amount of weight you are using. This particular kettlebell replaces six individual kettlebells of 8, 12, 20, 25, 35, and 40lbs.
The weight is given by metal plates inside of durable molding and the handles have an ergonomic design that will comfortably fit your hands.
To get the most out of your workouts, Bowflex has included with your purchase trainer-led videos that will teach you foundational kettlebell exercises. That means that even if you have never used a kettlebell in your life, you have access to training that will ensure you are performing exercises in the most correct, effective, and safe manner.
If you want to learn more about the 840 Kettlebell and see it in action, check out Bowflex’s promotional video below:
As mentioned in the video, you can do most of the exercises with just the one kettlebell, but you might consider picking up two for some more cardio-centric moves, such as the fast rows shown. It’s not necessary, but it could make things more convenient.
Additionally, you may have seen one of the exercisers in the video using a workout bench. Bowflex makes a great adjustable version that can help advance any strength workout you are doing, whether with kettlebells or dumbbells. Be sure to check that out by CLICKING HERE!
As you can hopefully tell from the features above and the video, there is a lot to like about the Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell. Here are a few, in my opinion, of the best features you would get with a purchase:
- Adjustable: Being able to quickly switch from one weight to the next, on the fly, not only cuts down on the amount of kettlebells you need, but also the time it takes to switch between exercises.
- Space-Saving: Additionally, having to purchase less kettlebells will save you on the amount of space needed for storage. Instead of 6-12 kettlebells, you only need space for 1-2!
- Great Range: Having weights from 8 to 40lbs allows you to gradually grow in strength. It starts low enough for anyone to use and goes high enough for the strongest of users to get a great workout.
- Price: While nothing to sneeze at, the price of 1-2 SelectTech Kettlebells is cheap when it compares to what it would cost you to purchase a set of 6 quality kettlebells. You could easily spend nearly $500 on other products just to get what Bowflex gives you.
- Durable: The design of the handle and outer molding ensure that your kettlebell is built to last, even during repeated use.
- Free Training: Having access to 24 training videos is a great resource of have if you are new to kettlebells. This increases the likelihood that you will get the most effective and safe workout because you will be given the knowledge to succeed. Check out a couple samples of this training in the videos at the bottom of this section.
- Free Shipping: Always a plus when shopping on Amazon!
- Amazon’s Choice Product: When it comes to kettlebells, Amazon has ranked the 840’s as one of their top choices.
Bowflex Sample Training Video:
Bowflex Sample Workout Video:
With all the good that comes with the Bowflex SelectTech Kettlebell, there are a couple of things that I wish were different. I wouldn’t say they are deal breakers, but it is still worth considering before you purchase.
- Weight Jump: While the weight range is awesome, it may jump a little too drastically for some. Going from 12 to 20lbs and 25 to 35lbs is big and might be too much.
- Stuck: I have heard of people complaining that the kettlebells are get stuck, either right out of the box or later on. Thankfully, you can check out an FAQ that Bowflex has provided or contact their customer care should you run into any problems.
A Review Of The Reviews
It’s one thing to take my word for it, but I always like to provide an overview of what others think of a product too. Therefore, here is the Amazon star breakdown for the Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell:
Out of 870 Total Reviews:
- 4,045 5-Star Reviews (85%)
- 643 4-Star Reviews (10%)
- 113 3-Star Reviews (2%)
- 75 2-Star Reviews (1%)
- 179 1-Star Reviews (2%)
I like to review products that have good amount of reviews because I think it gives a better cross-section overall of the consensus. For the SelectTech 840’s, you have a very positive user experience (95% of reviews are 4 or 5 stars!), giving me confidence that you will be satisfied with your purchase!
The Verdict – I Got A Fever…And The Only Prescription…Is More Kettlebell!
The Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell is a really amazing piece of equipment. It gives you the ability to combine 6 different kettlebells into one and is simple to use. When comparing the price to other options where you have to purchase kettlebells separately, the 840 is a steal.
If you are convinced that this kettlebell is the right one for you, feel free to click on any of the product links above or on the official Amazon picture link below to be taken directly to the product page!
Thanks so much for taking the time to check out this review. Now it’s your turn! What do you think of Bowflex’s newest SelectTech option? Do you have experience using it or other kettlebells? What do you like or dislike about them?
Do you have another product you would like me to take a look at in a future review? Let me know your thoughts down in the comments section below and I would be happy to consider it!
If you have any questions about this review or any other post on the site, please feel free to leave those down below too. If you liked what you read and think it could benefit someone you know, please be sure to click one of those share buttons that have followed you down the page.
Lastly, if you want to stay up-to-date on whenever we post new content, take a moment to enter your email address in the top right corner of this page and click the “Subscribe” button. You will be notified every time we publish a new article! Never miss another one again!
That’s all for now. As always, God bless and happy workouts!