If you are anything like me, staying organized with your workouts is really important. You want to know what exercises you are doing, how much you are lifting, how you are progressing, and you want it all in one convenient place. Well, do I have a solution for you!
A daily workout journal (and even a nutrition journal) is an underutilized, yet crucial key to seeing sustained success and results. It can be the motivation you need when you are reaching for that new max. It can encourage you with seeing how far you have come. Most of all, it can keep you on track with your workouts, nutrition, and fitness goals.
Now, I have tried to keep a workout log on the computer. The problem is, I don’t always have my computer with me. I don’t always want to have to boot up my laptop, log in, and open a program before I start my workout. That’s why I think carrying around a physical workout journal is a great idea. It’s quick, easy, and won’t completely stop your workout in its tracks.
A quick jot with a pen or pencil is all you would need. If you are ready, let’s take a look at what is quite possibly the best daily workout journal on the market today, brought to you by NewMe Fitness.
The Overview: What, How Much, And Where To Buy
Where to Buy: Amazon.com
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (with 939 reviews!)
Specs and Features: What Are You Getting?
NewMe Fitness is a company that specializes in producing illustrated workout posters, exercise cards, and fitness journals aimed at making your workouts easier to follow and track.
It was started by a graphic designer named Andy, who after becoming overweight, decided to make a change. It began with running to lose weight before eventually turning to lifting and working with a personal trainer.
As he couldn’t afford to work out with the trainer all the time, he researched, asked for help from professionals, took what he learned, and used his graphic design skills to create a way for him to work out at home.
It’s really inspiring, especially for those of us who have to do fitness on a budget!
When it comes to ordering their log books, it is important to know that you have several options to choose from, depending on your preference. Both workout logs and nutrition logs are available and can even be packaged together for some very cost-effective options:
- Single Workout Log Book:
- 126 daily workout pages.
- Developed by fitness professionals and supported by personal trainers and military fitness experts.
- Helps you record goals, stats, workouts, as well as track your progress.
- Includes graphics for which exercises work which muscles.
- Shows you how to measure your body fat.
- Made with durable, wire, spiral binding and thick pages so you don’t have to worry about tearing.
- Single Food Tracking Log Book:
- 132 pages of tracking with 144 total pages.
- Helps you keep track of your serving sizes, macro nutrients, and calories consumed during breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack.
- Includes helpful charts of common foods and their macro nutrient contents based on specific serving sizes.
- Made with durable, wire, spiral binding.
- Has thick pages, yet is small enough to take with you on-the-go.
- Workout / Food Log Combo:
- 66 pages with a dual spread format (one side to track meals, one side to track your daily workout).
- Includes the same features as the above logs, but combines them to make one easy to use and convenient to carry journal.
- 2-Pack Workout Log Book:
- Comes with two of the 126-page workout log books, giving you a total of 252 tracking pages!
- 2-Pack Workout and Food Log Book:
- Comes with one Workout Log Book (126 pages) and one Food Log Book (132 food tracking pages, 144 total pages).
If you are looking to get some ideas of workouts and exercises you can do, they also (as mentioned in the above intro) create laminated posters and exercise cards. If you are looking to just get into exercise and need a program, check out my Weekly Template on Stability (Core) Training and Jogging!
Remember, that I am someone who loves keeping track of everything, not just workouts. Therefore, I’m very happy with just the idea of a daily workout journal. Here are the top things I like about NewMe Fitness’s log books:
- Plenty of Space and Organization: As you can see from the pictures provided, there is plenty of space to add workouts, reps, weights, etc. Everything is also labeled clearly so there is no confusion as to where a certain item is supposed to be written down.
- Great Progress Tracking: Whether it is setting goals and jotting down your new lifting or running max, you will be able to quickly and easily see where you started all the way to where you are at the present time. That can be a huge encouragement and excellent motivation to keep pushing yourself.
- Charts and Information: Being provided with charts about common exercises for certain muscle groups as well as common foods and their macro nutrients is very convenient. Instead of having to do a search online, in the case of the common foods chard, many of the items you would consume daily are already included!
- Durability and Portability: It is really nice that these books have been made so well. Whether you are at the gym or at home, you can be sure that your journal won’t be falling apart anytime soon. Additionally, being small enough to take it anywhere is a big factor for those who want to stay on track while traveling.
While there is a lot to like about these workout journals, there is one thing that bothered me:
- Not Enough Pages: For as helpful as it is to be able to track your workouts, I would really have preferred something that would take me through a whole year. As is, even buying the 2-Pack Workout Log Book, you are still slightly short of filling up the entire calendar.
I suppose the reason for this is to cut down on the size of the overall book and make it more portable. However, I like to save as much money as possible rather than having to buy something more frequently. It’s an issue that I suppose is offset by the fact that the books aren’t too expensive to begin with, but it is still bothersome.
A Review of the Reviews
As always, it’s important that I take a look at what the consumers are saying. These are the people, after all, who have already made the decision to purchase a NewMe Fitness daily workout journal, so it’s good to get an idea of the consensus.
One thing of note, which can tell you exactly how underutilized workout journals are, there weren’t as many reviews available as some other products I’ve taken a look at on this website.
Hopefully that will change, as they can be a great tool to use for creating lasting fitness success.
That being said, here is the Amazon Star Breakdown:
Out of 330 Total Ratings:
- 296 5-Star Reviews (90%)
- 23 4-Star Reviews (6%)
- 8 3-Star Reviews (3%)
- 3 2-Star Reviews (1%)
- 0 1-Star Reviews (0%)
While there may not be as many reviews to browse as usual, having 90% (nearly 300) of your reviews be the full 5-Stars is telling of the quality and usefulness of these little daily workout journals.
The Verdict: Pencil This One In
Keeping a daily workout journal is an incredible way to stay on track with your goals and keep yourself motivated to push to the next level.
NewMe Fitness has designed a log book that not only seeks to educate, but also make people more aware of how their bodies are responding to exercise and food intake.
Knowledge is most certainly power in this case and I think you would do well to pick one of your own (or even several) as you go through your fitness journey!
Now, it’s your turn! What do you use to keep track of your fitness progress? Do you think it has led to more sustained motivation and better overall results?
Do you have any experience with NewMe Fitness or is this the first time you have heard of them?
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them and I will do my very best to give you an answer or point you in the right direction.
Until next time, God bless and happy workouts!
P.S. If you enjoyed this review and want to take a look at some more great home gym equipment options, check out my other reviews by either clicking on the “Product Reviews” tab at the top of the page or by clicking on any one of the following links!
- The Letscom Fitness Tracker
- Bodylastics Resistance Bands
- TRIBE Cell Phone Armband Holder
- The Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine
- Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells