If you are like me, you probably like the sound of a stationary bike, but have a few reservations. Between the space they take up and the amount of money you can spend, many bikes just seem impractical or out of reach…until now. That’s where the Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike with Pulse comes in!
I remember growing up, my parents had a stationary bike firmly planted in their bedroom, taking up a huge amount of space near their window. While it was nice to have, sure enough, it became a clothes rack. Maybe you have the same experience with other bikes you have used.
I know they paid a good amount of money for it and we all got lots of use from it (and still do to this day, which is a testament to its durability!) However, it was definitely an eyesore. No matter what type of pretty bedding or nice dresser they had in the room, there was the black and gray behemoth under the window.
I also remember being able to hear it from downstairs whenever my mother would ride. That’s how loud it was!
Any yet, I know that cycling of any kind is incredible exercise. In fact, The Huffington Post put out a great article that goes over 19 reasons why, in their opinion, it is the best kind of exercise. Some reasons included building muscle, building stamina, and keeping your joints safe because it is low-impact.
They mostly focused on outdoor cycling, but many of the same benefits can be had with a stationary bike.
That’s why I wanted to try to save you the experience I had growing up, but still offer a solution to give you the benefits of cycling. I set out to research the best, budget-friendly stationary bike options. It began with my review of the MagneTrainer ER Mini Exercise Bike.
However, I also realize that you may like a more traditional feel to your stationary. Not everyone can afford to have a Peloton (or the gym-level subscription that is added on top of the bike). If you can, I certainly hold nothing against you and applaud your efforts to increase your fitness. I just can’t.
In addition to the expense, I also didn’t want something that would become another piece of furniture. That’s when I started to research folding bikes and the Exerpeutic is one of the best I found!
Keep reading to find out why!
The Overview – What And Where To Buy
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (At the moment, it is 25% off and still SHIPS FREE!)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (with 8,159 reviews)
The Specs and Features
This folding exercise bike is brought to you by the Exerpeutic Therapeutic Fitness company. Some other products they offer include multiple lines of exercise bikes, elliptical trainers, office exercise equipment, treadmills, and inversion tables. You can check out their full line at their Amazon Store Page.
As for the Exerpeutic Exercise Bike, it boats many of the same features as much more expensive brands. First off, one of the main features is that it can be folded to half its size for convenient storage. If you think you will have to lift the bike to move it, you’ll be glad to see that it has been designed to roll anywhere on wheels at the base.
What makes it even easier to move is its relatively light weight of 42.8lbs when assembled!
Though it can be folded and is light, that doesn’t mean that you are going to sacrifice sturdiness, as the bike is able to carry a maximum weight of 300lbs.
As for the seat it is cushioned, extra wide, and adjustable to fit heights from 5’3 to 6’1.
The handlebars and display are also feature design elements you may not expect in such an inexpensive model of stationary bike.
The screen is an extra-large LCD display where you will be able to keep track of stats such as burned calories, speed, distance, and ride time. The handlebars themselves come equipped with pulse sensors so that you can keep track of your heart rate at any time during the ride.
When considering a stationary bike, it is important to think about the ride itself and what kind of workout you will get from it. Exerpeutic has put a lot of effort into this to make the experience a positive one.
Lastly, the bike features a smooth magnetic resisted ride that can be adjusted to any of the 8 difficulty settings on the fly. This also leads to the bike being super quiet during your ride, no matter how high the tension or how fast you are going. Thanks to the adjustable pedal straps, you are also much less likely to have your feet slip off during intense rides.
Check out this video overview of the Exerpeutic:
If you choose to purchase your own, check out this video that explains assembly:
The Exerpeutic Folding Bike is a bundle of pros in my book. Here is what I enjoy most about it:
- Save All The Space: I always appreciate when equipment is portable and able to be stored. I don’t have a ton of space as I live in an apartment, so owning a quality stationary bike that I can use and then hide is a huge plus.
- The Stats You Need: Stationary bikes can give you a lot of stats, but which ones do you actually pay attention to? If all you need is time, distance, calories, speed, and heart rate, why pay more for ones you’ll never use?
- Speaking Of Heart Rate: I was so surprised to see that this level of stationary bike still featured pulse sensing technology. Keeping track of your heart rate is important because you can better set goals and keep yourself in the best target area for more calorie burn. Read more about target heart rate from Johns Hopkins Medicine HERE!
- Easy Rider: If you read my story above, you knew this was going to be here. The Exerpeutic’s ride is smooth and quiet, meaning you won’t disrupt the entire house whenever you want to work out.
- Adjustable Difficulty: While it may not feature pre-programmed rides, the location of the tension dial (right between your knees) makes it easy to switch resistance on the fly (which also helps if you are trying to recreate or follow a spin class online). Since their are 8 levels of difficulty, you will have plenty of opportunity to gradually grow in your fitness.
- Capacity: In the realm of folding exercise bikes, you would be hard-pressed to find one that can hold the weight that this bike can. 300lbs will suit most sizes, as will the bikes height range discussed earlier.
- Price: With all the features provided, I would expect to pay a lot more for this bike. Get it now on sale and you will save even more, as it is still eligible for free shipping!
- Top Choice: You will notice that both Amazon and Men’s Health have made it their choice product, making it a top recommendation from one of America’s biggest sellers and one of its most well-known fitness magazines.
With all the positives said, I always look to provide a fair review that isn’t just a one-sided, “You have no other choice but to buy this because its the best thing ever” affair. The Exerpeutic has its share of cons that are worth looking at. They aren’t deal breakers for me, but your opinion may be different:
- Capacity Limitations: While 300lbs is nothing to sneeze at, for those who exceed this weight (and therefore would really benefit from the low-impact exercise) may have to go with a more expensive stationary option.
- You Must Be This Tall To Ride: 6 feet may be an average height, but having a range of 5’3 to 6’1 is excluding a big part of the population that exceeds this range.
- Basic: There are no smart features to the bike and adding some would require you to purchase some extra equipment. If you are looking for a Peloton-like experience, you won’t find it out of the box. However, there are a plethora of quality spin class style/stationary bike workouts you can find for free online. Check out these examples for a warm-up and workout:
A Review Of The Reviews
If you still aren’t sure about the quality of the Exerpeutic Folding Exercise Bike, then feel free to take a look at what others are saying about it online.
Out of 8,159 Total Reviews:
- 4,522 5-Star Reviews (71%)
- 1,229 4-Star Reviews (16%)
- 375 3-Star Reviews (5%)
- 248 2-Star Reviews (3%)
- 395 1-Star Reviews (5%)
I usually like to review products that have as many reviews as possible because I think it gives a better cross-section overall of the consensus. For the Exerpeutic, you have a very positive user experience (87% of reviews are 4 or 5 stars!), giving me confidence that this is a worthy purchase should you decide to make it!
Feel free to continue browsing the reviews yourself to get an even better sense!
The Verdict – Ride On!
The Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Exercise Bike with Pulse is the perfect option for those looking to get into cycling, but not willing to part with a huge amount of money to do it. It has all the features that you would want from a stationary bike along with the ability to fold it up and put it away when you are done!
You have heard what I think, now its your turn! What do you think of Exerpeutic’s folding bike? Is it something you’d be interested in? Do you enjoy workout out on stationary bikes and what is your favorite way to do so? Let me know in the comments below! If you have any questions, please also feel free to leave them here!
If you enjoyed what you read and feel ready to purchase your own Exerpeutic, please click on any of the links provided or the Amazon links below. I’ve included some of the add-ons I mentioned before should you choose to do that.
If you want to be notified of whenever I post new content, consider subscribing to the page in the upper right corner! Please also take just a moment to hit those share buttons! I’d greatly appreciate it!
Now, since everyone is thinking about it, this will be all you hear from me about the Coronavirus unless it deals directly with budget-minded fitness:
Don’t panic. Be smart and careful as you go out and use common sense. But don’t panic. Not only does it not help the situation, but stress can lower your immune system’s ability to fight off disease (Psychology Today). Help one another and let’s get through this!
Before I go, I just want to leave some encouragement for you from the book of Philippians:
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” (Bible Gateway).
That’s all for now! God bless and happy workouts!