Fitness trackers continue to be all the rage these days and there are many competitors out there at all different price points. However, in my research, I have found that Xiaomi’s Mi Band 4 Watch is one in particular that stands out.
There are several reasons why owning a fitness watch can be helpful. According to Fitness Tracker 24, first and foremost, they make it incredibly easy to monitor your progress when keeping track of stats like steps taken, miles traveled, and estimated calories burned.
When you know your stats on a consistent basis, you can set goals for yourself that are more specific, measurable, and achievable, all key ingredients to sustained fitness success (I talk about this topic extensively in my post on setting SMART goals. Check it out if you have a few minutes)!
One you are able to set achievable goals for yourself, this can help a great deal with your motivation, another crucial component to long-term fitness. Without motivation, it is nearly impossible to stay on track, so any help you can get is a huge plus. See some of these resources from this site about motivation for even more help!
- Motivational Quotes For Fitness – Part 1: Progress or Perfection?
- Motivational Quotes For Fitness – Part 4: Action Required
- Why A Support System Is Important – Staying On Track
- No Sweat By Michelle Segar – Reviewing The Book On Motivation
Now that you have had a chance to read up on motivation, it’s time to get to the review!
The Overview – What And Where To Buy
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (Available with FREE SHIPPING!)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (with 1,561 reviews!)
The Specs and Features
Right out of the box, you will notice the AMOLED color, tempered glass screen, as it is nearly a full inch of display. Additionally, you will find the charging cable and English instructions (more on this a little later on!).
The battery charges in about 2 hours and can last for up to 20 days of continuous activity.
Speaking of activity, the Xiaomi Mi Band is able to track a variety of activities including steps, burned calories, and distance traveled. It also supports 6 different modes of workout including running (both outdoor and treadmill), cycling (both outdoor and stationary), walking, exercise (such as aerobic or strength training), and swimming.
The swimming feature is something that the Letscom ID115 fitness tracker we reviewed a while back was lacking, so if pool exercise is your go-to workout, then the Xiaomi may be the right tool as it is waterproof up to 50 meters.
In addition to activity tracking, the Mi Band will also keep tabs on your overall health and wellness with heart and sleep monitoring as well as alerts for heart rate and inactivity.
When you sync to your phone, it is with Bluetooth 5.0 and you should be sure that you have either Android 4.4 or iOS 9 or above. Otherwise, you would be out of luck. However, once synced, the watch will be able to offer you the ability to set an alarm and timer, phone finder, reminders, and do not disturb mode.
You will also be able to control your music app from the watch, receive notifications, text messages, and phone calls.
Check out this video review I found for the Mi Band so you can see it in action!
Right now, Xiaomi only offers the watch with a black band. However, there are multiple third-party sellers that make compatible bands in different colors. I will post a few of these at the very end of the review.
In addition, since you need your phone with you when you are out for a jog or exercise program to properly track your stats, you might consider picking up a cellphone armband holder. I reviewed a great one from the TRIBE Fitness company a while back that might be worth checking out!
The Pros- What I Like Most
The Mi Band 4 has some really nice features that would make it a great fitness watch for you to add to your fitness equipment repertoire. Here are some of my favorites:
- The Screen: Having such a large color display makes everything easy to see, especially when you are in the middle of a workout. The stats are displayed clearly and large enough to see at a mere glance.
- Quick Charge: Charging in about 2 hours limits the amount of time you can’t track your progress if you are someone who likes to wear a tracker all the time.
- All The Essentials: With six workout modes and the ability to track different stats, it has everything that most people are looking for in a tracking device.
- Battery Life: Getting about 20 days (nearly 3 weeks!) in between charges is a great feature. Less time on the charge means more progress tracking!
- Total Sync: You will be able to get all the essential information on the go with the Mi Band (as well as in the app) and when working out, your favorite tunes are right at your wrist to control.
- The Price: You could spend nearly a hundred if not hundreds of dollars on a quality fitness band that does the exact same things the Xiaomi does at a fraction of the price.
- Free Shipping: Yes! It meets the price requirement for Amazon to get it to your door at no extra cost to you! Sweet!
The Cons – What Could Be Better
While the Mi Band 4 is a great fitness tracker that I wholly recommend, there are some things I would like to see Xiaomi address in future models.
- English As A Second Language: I mentioned before about the English instructions. Well, the default language setting on the Mi Band is Chinese, so you have to sync it to your phone in order for the watch to switch over to English. Hopefully your phone’s default is English or you speak English because as of now, the Mi Band only supports two languages.
- Sleep Monitoring: As is the case with all technology in the bedroom, fitness trackers have the potential to actually disrupt your sleep patterns (sleep.org). What is nice is that the Do No Disturb setting can disable the notifications. Now you just have to control your impulse to check it when you should be sleeping!
- One Color: Only offering one option isn’t really a big deal to me, however you might like some variety. Thankfully, there are other sellers on Amazon that make bands for it, but I can’t really speak to their quality.
- Few Modes: The Mi Band has your basic, general workout modes, but there are other trackers and apps with more extensive and specific activity lists. There is debate (at least in my own mind) over whether you would need to get that specific with your activities, but some may miss them if not present.
A Review Of The Reviews
I’ve done a lot of research on the Mi Band 4, but in case you don’t want to just take my word for it (I call you a smart consumer for that!), I always like to show what other customers like you are saying about the products I review. With that said, let’s get to the Amazon Star Rating Breakdown!
Out of 1,561 Total Reviews:
- 501 5-Star Reviews (74%)
- 95 4-Star Reviews (13%)
- 32 3-Star Reviews (4%)
- 24 2-Star Reviews (2%)
- 82 1-Star Reviews (8%)
What becomes clear is that the reviews are overwhelmingly positive (with 87% being either 4 or 5 stars!) That makes me even more comfortable in recommending the Xiaomi Mi Band 4 as a purchase worthy of your hard-earned money!
The Verdict – Make Mi Band Your Band
From the large color screen to the simple, yet essential list of features, the Xiaomi Mi Band 4 Watch is everything you need and nothing you don’t. The fact that you can take it swimming gives it an advantage over other fitness watches (such as the Letscom ID115) as well.
Fitness trackers can be extremely helpful tools to keeping you on track to meeting your goals, so if you are ready to pick up your own, please feel free to click on any of the product links provided above or the official Amazon picture links below to be taken right to the correct page where you can view more pictures and the price (Amazon won’t let me post either).
Now it’s your turn, though! What do you think of the Mi Band 4? What do you think of it compared to other fitness trackers? Are you disappointed it doesn’t have more workout modes or does it have what you need? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
If you would like me to take a look at a different, budget-friendly fitness tracker that you have used, please suggest it and I will strongly consider writing up a review (after extensive research, of course! I may even give you a shout out when the post goes live!
If you have any questions about this or any other post on the site, please feel free to leave them below as well!
Before I go, I just want to remind you to never miss another post again by entering your email address in the top right corner and hitting the subscribe button! Then, immediately after doing that, hit one or more of the share buttons and let the world know about the Mi Band 4!
That’s all for now. As always, God bless and happy tracking!