For those of you who have been here a while, you know that I am always on the lookout for a good plant-based protein supplement powder for my workout routine. On a whim, I recently tried out Orgain Organic Protein Powder and Superfoods and I think I’ve found my new protein powder!
You may be wondering why you would want or need to use a protein powder. According to Medical News Today, adding a protein supplement to your diet can help you build muscle, manage your weight, and help your body recover after exercise.
I personally have been using plant-based protein powders, but there is also whey concentrate, whey isolate, egg albumin, and casein (which come from dairy products).
If you wish to learn a little more about protein, including types, when to use it, how much to use, etc. check out the video I found that really explains it clearly.
Now, I have reviewed a couple of plant-based protein powders before this. If you want to check those out, just click the links below:
After trying these two, my experience has been a little hit or miss. Whenever I first experiment with a new protein powder, I always like to test it out by itself. That means I mix it into a glass of milk and drink.
So far, that hasn’t been a great idea. Both Vega One and Garden of Life are nearly unpalatable when taken by themselves. I don’t care how much the packaging says that it is “Delicious with ________”, I just simply can’t do it. I’ve tried…multiple times.
My next test is to mix it into a smoothie. Vega One was still atrocious. It made the fruit I added to the smoothie also nearly unpalatable, which is pretty hard to do.
However, I had great success in making smoothies with Garden of Life. There was a slight taste, but it really was mostly masked by the rest of the smoothie ingredients. I actually found myself enjoying my smoothie making days with it, which I highlight in my comprehensive review.
What I liked most about Garden of Life’s Raw Meal was that it was completely organic, clean, and contained a lot of great stuff including probiotics, fiber, 44 superfoods, and 20 grams of protein per serving. I also had a great experience with it as I used it to help me gain nearly 20lbs of muscle, something I hadn’t been able to do for years!
Yet, I couldn’t help but wonder if there was something I was missing… If there was something better out there. Let’s face it, as husband and now a dad of three kids, I don’t always have time to break out the blender. Could there be a plant-based protein powder that provided all the benefits of Garden of Life, but also didn’t need its taste to be masked?
Well, I am happy to say that I believe I have found the solution. Not only does Orgain’s Protein with Superfoods give me everything I want, but it surprisingly passed the “milk only” test! Keep reading below to check out all the details!
The Overview – What And Where To Buy
The Product: Orgain Ogranic Protein & Superfoods
Where to Buy: Orgain.com (There is a flash sale going on right now! Get 30% off and free shipping while supplies last! Additionally, the Honey Browser Extension tells me that their are 13 possible coupons to use as well as 1-10% in rewards gold available!)
Star Rating From Orgain’s Website 4.8 out of 5 stars (with 73 total reviews)
Amazon Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (with 1,677 total reviews!)
The Specs and Features
The story behind the founding of Orgain is incredible. The product was originally developed by Dr. Andrew Abraham. When he was 17, he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and not given much chance. He started losing weight and was given a nutritional supplement to help. However, he didn’t like how many unnatural ingredients were included.
He set out to create his own nutritional drink using real food. It started with making his own shakes that actually helped him gain weight, become stronger, and overcome the cancer! He eventually became a doctor, but wanted to know if he could help others with this concept of real food.
He decided to quit the medical field and started Orgain on the premise that their products would be clean, high-quality, and delicious. Most of their products are organic and all of them have no artificial ingredients, are gluten and soy free, as well as non-GMO.
The company has grown since then and now features a wide variety of products from protein powders, ready to consume drinks, protein bars and more.
You can check out more information on their “Our Story” page via the banner below:
Additionally, check out the Dr. Abraham’s story via this video:
As far as Orgain’s Superfoods protein powder is concerned, there is a lot of information to break down.
Let’s begin with the ingredients:
- Orgain Plant-Based Protein Blend:
- Pea Protein
- Brown Rice Protein
- Chia Seed
- Organic Food Based B and C Vitamins From:
- Holy Basil
- Amla Fruit
- Lemon Extracts
- Organic Veggies and Herbs Blend:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Green Pepper
- Green Onion
- Organic Ancient Grains Blend:
- Chia Seeds
- Organic Greens and Grasses Blend:
- Wheat Grass
- Barley Grass
- Oat Grass
- Organic Berries and Fruits Blend:
- Tart Cherry
- Organic Sprouts Blend:
- Garbanzo Beans
As far as flavors, they have Vanilla Bean and Rich Chocolate Fudge available, both of which are slightly sweetened with Stevia. Each 2-scoop serving also boasts the following nutritional information:
- Calories: 170
- Total Fat: 5g (6% DV)
- Saturated Fat: 1g (5% DV)
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV)
- Sodium: 310mg (13% DV)
- Total Carbohydrates: 20g (7% DV)
- Dietary Fiber: 6g (21% DV)
- Total Sugars: 1g
- 0g added sugars
- Erythritol: 5g
- Protein: 21g (26% DV)
- Iron: 8mg (45% DV)
- Vitamin A: 11mcg (2% DV)
- Thiamine: 0.4mg (35% DV)
- Niacin: 1mg (6% DV)
- Folate: 19mcg DFE (4% DV)
- Pantothenic Acid: 1mg (20% DV)
- Calcium: 61mg (4% DV)
- Potassium: 295mg (6% DV)
- Vitamin C: 16mg (20% DV)
- Riboflavin: 0.5mg (40% DV)
- Vitamin B6: 0.6mg (35% DV)
- Vitamin B12: 0.1mg (4% DV)
- Magnesium: 24mg (6% DV)
After personally using Orgain for a couple of weeks now, I can tell you that I am finding a lot of positives. Here are my highlights:
- The Taste: My goodness, it is nice to finally be able to put this in the positive category for a protein powder. I was skeptical before I did the “milk only” test. However, not only was it passable, it was actually enjoyable! I could actually taste chocolate and the Stevia aftertaste wasn’t all that bad.
- Even my wife, who has hated all the plant-based protein powders I’ve tried told me it was pretty good! That is saying something!
- The Texture: Garden of Life became sludge in milk and had a gritty texture. Orgain, on the other hand, mixed really well and maintained a smooth consistency! No more feeling of drinking wet sand!
- Superfoods: 50 different superfoods in one package including fruits, vegetables, grasses, grains, sprouts and more? Sign me up please!
- High Protein: I was really happy to see that one serving had 21 grams of protein. Many plant-based powders I have seen contain 20 grams. I appreciate that extra gram!
- Fiber: My digestive system really appreciates the amount of fiber that is included in this powder.
- No Added Sugar: Since it is sweetened with Stevia, you are only looking at minimal natural sugar content in your powder.
- Calorie Count: Should you decide you want to use the powder more for weight loss, it definitely packs a ton of nutrition in for not that many calories.
- Keeps You Full: To add to the idea of weight loss, Orgain contains the macros to keep you full with 5 grams of fat, 6 grams of fiber (carbs) and 21 grams of protein.
- Organic and Clean: No worries about harmful pesticides or ingredients here!
- The Price: For a 2lb container, its less expensive than Garden of Life (though there is something important to mention in my cons section), so when factored in with it tasting a lot better, there really is no comparison. Since it is on sale with free shipping and you could get Honey Gold if you purchase, the savings are big!
As always, I’m going to give both sides of the coin. I feel I am especially able to do this because I am using the product currently! A balanced review is a good review in my book and I don’t like to leave any stone unturned! Here are my cons:
- Lower Vitamin/Mineral Percentages: Not only does Orgain have fewer vitamins/minerals included than Garden of Life, the ones it does have aren’t in as high of quantity.
- Lacking Probiotics: While Garden of Life includes 1.5 billion live probiotics, they are completely missing from Orgain.
- 2-Scoops: Orgain’s serving size is two scoops. On their largest container (2lbs) that means you have 18 servings compared to Garden of Life’s 1 scoop and 28 servings. I usually only use one scoop and bulk up the protein by using dairy milk and peanut butter though, so it doesn’t bother me so much!
A Review Of The Reviews
Here is where this review is going to look a little unique. You can find Orgain on both their official website and on Amazon. The links I am providing you take you to the official website, because that is where I am recommending you purchase based on the sales and incentives you can get there.
However, for a more comprehensive look at public opinion, I’d like to give you the star breakdowns from both websites!
Orgain Star Breakdown Out of 73 Total Reviews:
- 65 5-Star Reviews (89%)
- 5 4-Star Reviews (7%)
- 2 3-Star Reviews (3%)
- 0 2-Star Reviews (0%)
- 1 1-Star Reviews (1%)
Amazon StarBreakdown Out of 1,677 Total Reviews:
- 376 5-Star Reviews (77%)
- 73 4-Star Reviews (11%)
- 49 3-Star Reviews (6%)
- 33 2-Star Reviews (3%)
- 44 1-Star Reviews (4%)
As you can see, regardless of the location, the consensus seems to be that this is a really great product that is absolutely worth your time checking out if you want to add some vegan protein to your diet!
The Verdict – Time To Hop On The Orgain Train
From the taste and texture to the 50 superfoods and high protein content, Orgain Organic Protein Powder and Superfoods has convinced me to switch from my old standby, Garden of Life! I look forward to seeing what kind of results I can get from more consistent use!
If you feel that you are convinced and want to purchase, taking full advantage of the sale they’ve got going on (and don’t forget to sign up for Honey to get great rewards for shopping with Orgain!), then click the banner
below or on any of the provided product links!
Since they are affiliate links, I will get a small commission from any purchase you make. It doesn’t raise the cost for you, but it does help out the website and I would greatly appreciate that!
Now, it’s your turn! What do you think of Orgain’s Protein Powder loaded with superfoods? Do you think it is worth a try? Have you already tried it? If so, what did you think? What has been your experience with plant-based protein powders?
I am currently also looking for a clean, budge-friendly, non-plant based casein protein powder as well. Do you have any suggestions for me to take a look at? Let me know all your thoughts and questions down in the comments section below!
If your are interested in more nutritional information, check out some of the following articles and reviews!
- Recipe Of The Week – Banana And Peanut Butter Oatmeal
- Recipe of the Week – Banana Carrot Pancakes
- Recipe Of The Week – Easy Beef And Bean Burritos
- Recipe Of The Week: Panko Chicken With Wilted Greens and Fried Eggs
- Recipe Of The Week: Grilled Ribeye Steak and Cheese Sandwich
- Recipe of the Week – Part 6: My Ultimate Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl
- Recipe of the Week – Part 7: Capellini Pomodoro
- What is the OMAD Diet?
- What is the Carnivore Diet?
- What is a Juice Diet?
- Does Intermittent Fasting Help Weight Loss? My Personal Results!
- The Takeya Water Bottle – Your New Container Search Is Over
- Bob’s Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli Cereal – Power Your Morning!
- Oregano’s Health Benefits – It’s Not Just A Pizza Topping
- Basil’s Health Benefits – What Italy’s Primo Herb Can Do For You
- Parsley’s Health Benefits – Not Just A Garnish!
- Rosemary’s Health Benefits – Packing A Flavor And Nutritional Punch?
- The Artichoke’s Health Benefits – Who Knew Thistles Were So Tasty?
- The Apricot’s Health Benefits – Why Haven’t I Been Eating These?
- Arugula’s Health Benefits – Nutritious And Delicious?
- How Healthy Is An Apple? Do You Really Need One A Day
- What To Eat For Health – Part 1: At Chipotle
- What to Eat For Health – Part 2: At Arby’s
- What to Eat For Health – Part 3: At McDonald’s
- What to Eat For Health – Part 4: At Chick-Fil-A
- What to Eat For Health – Part 5: At Burger King
- What to Eat For Health – Part 6: At Panera Bread
Additionally if you are looking to bulk up your savings in addition to your muscles, feel free to check out these great resources to do just that!
If you are looking to make a little extra cash in your spare time, take a look at Survey Junkie.
Should you have a passion for fitness, consider getting your Personal Trainer certification completely online with ACE Fitness.
If you want to leave the general 9-5 grind and want to start your own online business, there is no better place to start than Wealthy Affiliate, featuring the best training anywhere for doing just that!
That’s all for now! If you enjoyed what you read today, please consider entering your info in the “Subscribe” box to be alerted whenever I post new content. Also, feel free to hit those share buttons and spread the word about a Vegan protein powder that actually tastes good!
As always, God Bless and Happy Workouts!