So, you may have read that title, seen the picture, and wondered what the heck I could be talking about. What does outer space have to do with working out? Well, if you want to find out then you are in the right place because this isn’t just any review. It’s a Get Fit On A Budget OYO Personal Gym review!
I’m going to look at every aspect of this little device, good and bad, to see whether it will be helpful to your fitness journey or not.
Before we get into that though, the OYO gym is a device used for resistance training. Therefore, I thought it would be a good idea to give a little background on why you should incorporate some form of resistance training into your fitness routine.
Everyday Health notes some incredible benefits that include:
- Increased bone density: This is hugely important for anyone who has Osteoporosis in their family tree!
- Increased coordination and posture: As we age, these are things that can become compromised. In fact, it is incredibly common to hear about older individuals falling because they lose their balance.
- Increased resting calorie burn: When you do cardio exercise, your calorie burn happens during the activity, which is great! However, strength (resistance) training has shown to continue burning calories even after the workout is over, thus creating a form of passive calorie burn due to a sped up metabolism!
- Increased strength: This may be obvious, but using resistance training is an amazing way to improve your overall strength.
- Improved heart health: You may associate heart health more with cardio exercise, but strength training is also a great method for lowering your blood pressure and benefiting your cardiovascular system!
Now that you know the benefits of strength training, there are several methods that you can use to get it into your day. Let’s look at how the Mayo Clinic describes them and then I will list some examples of tools you could use to accomplish each:
- Free Weights: These might be one you know most about. These include dumbbells, barbells, and kettlebells. In fact, you could even use milk jugs filled with various levels of water as a free weight. Here are some examples of free weights I trust:
- Weight Machines: If you have been in a gym before, you have most likely seen these machines. They can include plate machines, cable machines, etc:
- Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine: Combines cardio AND strength with adjustable resistance!
- Resistance Bands: Elastic tubing or bands that provide resistance as you stretch them:
- Bodyweight Training: This doesn’t require equipment (though some could be used to enhance it), but involves pull ups, push-ups, etc:
I hope you find those examples helpful in better understanding resistance training. I’m not exactly sure where the piece of equipment I’m going to be looking at today fits in with these categories. If anything, I would probably classify it is a type of weight machine. Keep reading to find out all the details!
The Overview – What And Where To Buy
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (Available with FREE SHIPPING!)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars (with 432 reviews)
Specs and Features
OYO Fitness was born out of a partnership with NASA. The inventor of the OYO gym, Paul Francis, came up with a new technology called SpiraFlex to help astronauts counteract the toll being in zero gravity takes on the human body (most significantly, muscle and bone mass loss). Free weights couldn’t work because they rely on gravity to provide resistance.
He decided to try to bring the same benefits to earthbound exercisers and came up with OYO. It works based on the same SpiraFlex technology used in the space program. Take a look at this short clip with Mr. Francis where he talks about how he came to work with NASA:
If you wish to read more about him, or the team that makes up OYO Fitness, check out their “Our Team” page. If you wish to take a look at other products they offer or just want to browse the site, feel free to visit the OYO Fitness homepage.
As for the OYO personal gym itself, there are two versions.
- The Oyo Gym Basic Package: This particular package comes with the OYO device and three “FlexPacks” that give up to 25lbs of resistance (in 5, 10, and 10lb increments), and a product guide.
- The OYO Gym Total Body Package: This package gives you the OYO device, three “FlexPacks” totaling 25lbs (in 5, 10, and 10lb increments), and the product guide, while adding on two ankle straps and a door anchor.
No matter what package you choose from, the OYO works on the same concept of “DoubleFlex” resistance, which works opposing muscle groups with each movement you make. The feel of the resistance is what is called linear (meaning the same throughout the motion), which is most similar to free weights.
At first glance, it looks kind of like a small compound bow in the way it is shaped. However, it is very different in execution.
You hold the OYO from the two ergonomically-shaped handles on the two ends. You can pull the handles out, which are attached to stainless steel cables covered in nylon, fold the device in at the middle joint, or a combination of both movements.
The main body of the device is constructed from polymer that is heavy-duty, yet is able to maintain a low weight of only 2lbs. Additionally, it is small enough to take with you in case you can’t get to the gym while traveling.
If you are wondering why types of exercises can be done, you can find 60 online workouts, 197 exercise videos, and a fitness instructor-created 10 Week Workout Plan Challenge on multiple platforms including their website, their YouTube channel, and their Vimeo channel. They also offer a free diet and nutrition guide to maximize your results.
You will find from these sources that you can incorporate the OYO gym into regular resistance training, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), Pilates, Yoga (they also sell a Yoga mat) and even walking on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike.
By the way, if you are looking for quality treadmills and bikes at a budget friendly price to pair with an OYO, take a look at these options:
- XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill
- MagneTrainer ER Mini Exercise Bike
- Exerpeutic Folding Exercise Bike
- Yosuda Exercise Bike
They have a free coaching app too, but right now, it is only available for iOS users.
Each OYO Personal Gym comes with a three-year warranty as well.
If you want to check out the set up and some of the exercises you can do with an OYO Gym, take a look at this official workout:
While some of their videos have an “infomercial” feel to them, I really think the OYO Gym is a legitimate product with some very positive aspects. Here are my main takeaways:
- Two-Way Resistance: Having the ability to perform combination movements on different, opposing muscle groups means that you can burn more calories and get better results in a shorter period of time.
- Total Body Workout: If you choose the package with the ankle straps and door anchor, you can definitely work all of your major muscle groups!
- Durable: From the polymer body to the stainless steel cables, you can focus more on getting a great workout than on whether the OYO will break on you.
- Portable: Small and lightweight (only 2lbs), you can take use it at home, when you travel, or at the office. This is especially true when you pair it with their carrying bag.
- Decent Resistance: With the types of exercises you can do, 25lbs is going to be a pretty good challenge for most users.
- Versatile: As stated before, if can be used in a wide variety of exercise styles and even with other types of exercise equipment to increase you calorie burn and strength gains.
- Price: Considering how many exercises you can do and the free resources that OYO provides, you are getting such a great deal for the price they charge. Factor in Free Shipping from Amazon and it’s a pretty sweet deal.
- Warranty: In my experience, I have seen most products give 1-year to 18-months of a warranty. OYO goes way above and beyond by covering you for 3 years!
As always, no OYO Gym review from Get Fit On A Budget would be complete without going over the list of cons. I don’t think there are many, but they should be considered so you can make a fully-informed decision! Here is what I see:
- Only Decent Resistance: Depending on your fitness and strength level and goals, 25lbs might be enough for you. However, you don’t have the ability to go beyond that weight limit, which means you may quickly outgrow it.
- Too Small?: On some of the exercises that require you to pull the handles out by the cable, those with longer wingspans may find that they can’t get a full extension. The more complete the extension, the more effective the exercise.
A Review Of The Reviews
Whenever I look to purchase a product, one of the first places I look is to see what others are saying. I feel like reviews are a great place to look because many people are consumers in the same boat as I am: wanting a quality product at the best price. Therefore, here is the Amazon star breakdown for the OYO Personal Gym:
Out of 432 Total Reviews:
- 201 5-Star Reviews (64%)
- 55 4-Star Reviews (21%)
- 18 3-Star Reviews (5%)
- 15 2-Star Reviews (5%)
- 14 1-Star Reviews (5%)
From the summary of reviews, 85% of users have had a really good experience and given it 4 or 5 stars! That makes me confident that you are very likely to get a solid product that you will give you a lot of use!
The Verdict – OYO… The Final Frontier
Forgive the Star Trek reference. However, I really think that this “space age” technology can work as well for you as it has for the astronauts of NASA. While it’s lack of heavier resistance will turn some off to it, I think for many people, that will be just right. The fact that you can take it anywhere is a huge plus!
If you are ready to give it a go, click the picture link below to be taken directly to the correct page! If you purchase through my links, it goes toward supporting the site without making anything more expensive for you!
Now, it’s your turn! What do you think of the OYO Gym? What do you like most? What do you like least? Do you think that it has enough resistance for you or would you be looking for more? If so, definitely check out the other equipment links I provided for great alternatives.
Let me know your thoughts down in the comments below. In addition, feel free to leave any questions you may have down below. I look forward to hearing from you!
Remember, tomorrow is a comment day, so I will definitely be responding should you decide to contact me.
With that said, this is my last product review in the month of April! As the calendar turns to May, stay tuned because you can expect to see next month’s writing schedule coming out soon!
Speaking of staying tuned, the best way to do that is to enter your email in the subscribe box to be notified of whenever I post a new article! I guarantee I won’t flood your inbox with annoying spam!
Lastly, please consider sharing this and any other article you find interesting by clicking the social media buttons to the right. It helps me out a great deal and I really appreciate it!
That’s all for now! God Bless and Happy Workouts!