As amazing as a great cardio or bodyweight workout is, there is only so much running, calisthenics, and strength training you can do. That’s where adding some Sportneer ankle weights (also can be used on the wrist) can really change the game for you!
I don’t have an unlimited amount of time. With a young family, job, and home responsibilities, I realistically have about 30 minutes to work out during the day. While it is important to take that time and work on my own health, it can be somewhat limiting.
That’s why I need to make every minute of that workout as effective as possible. Now, if you were looking to straight up strength train, there are some great pieces of equipment to use. Check out a couple of my recommendations for a few awesome tools:
If you are like me, though, you also like a great cardio workout. According to Healthline and Bodybuilding.com cardio has some incredible health benefits including lowering blood pressure, reducing asthma symptoms, helping sleep, increasing metabolism, and boosting your mood, just to name a few.
My problem is, because of the amount of time I have, I can only run so long or better my time so much. I can only do so many mountain climbers (I’ve gotten to 100 at a time), jumping jacks, or leg lifts before it gets ridiculous.
That’s when I began searching for a tool that could help my cardio and bodyweight workouts become more efficient and effective in a shorter amount of time and fewer reps.
These adjustable ankle weights are the fruit of that research, and I believe that with them, cardio will never be the same again! Keep reading to find out all the details!
The Overview – What And Where To Buy
The Product: Sportneer Adjustable Ankle/Wrist Weights (Pair)
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (Currently Amazon’s Choice and available for free shipping!)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (with 401 reviews)
Specs and Features – What To Expect
Sportneer is a fitness equipment company that was started in 2016. The name comes from a blend of sport and engineering, and those are the very backbone of their company. They strive to provide products and services that will contribute to your overall fitness journey.
Sportneer has seen how technology has caused us to slow down and become more sedentary (as I sit and type this, it gets me thinking) and want to help change that by getting your body in motion practically. They want people to be more active, whether that is inside or out of their houses.
Sportneer believes the key to happiness is health, and because of this, they want to offer quality products that are also affordable so that they can help the most people possible. Sportneer has three principles that guide everything their company does:
- A good life comes from a healthy body.
- Exercise should not be limited to our surroundings (meaning. exercise can be done anywhere at any time!).
- Practicality and comfort are kings.
To read more about Sportneer and what they stand for, feel free to check out the About page on their website!
As for the Sportneer Ankle Weights, they feature a simple design that allows you to customize your workout.
What you can expect to find when you open the package is a pair of adjustable ankle straps that can hold up to 5lbs of weight each (a total of 10lbs).
Each ankle strap comes with five compartments where you can easily add or subtract a set of five 0.97lb sandbag weights. This way, the amount of weight can grow with you as you increase in strength and stamina, or decrease depending on the type of physical activity you are doing.
The ankle straps are one-size-fits-all as they come with an adjustable Velcro strap very similar in design to the one used for my favorite weight lifting system. This means that whether man or woman, big or small, ankle or wrist, you will be able to comfortably adjust to fit the limb you want to target.
Adding weight to your cardio or HIIT workouts adds a degree of intensity so that you can expect better results in a faster amount of time, without the risk of injury from the equipment if used correctly.
According to Livestrong.com, there are many benefits to using ankle weights during your exercise routines including better leg and abdominal tone.
The ankle straps feature a neoprene outside for comfort as well as reinforced stitching for durability.
As I look at the Sportneer Ankle Weights, I see a lot that I like:
- Workout Versatility: Being able to use them for your ankles or your wrists for a variety of exercises including walking, jogging, HIIT workouts, on the treadmill etc. means these are no one-trick-pony. They more you can do with a piece of equipment, the better value it has.
- Workout Intensity: Using ankle/wrist weights automatically ups the challenge of any exercise you are doing because you are bringing resistance into the equation. The harder your muscles work, the stronger they will get and the more endurance they will have.
- Customization: Easily slipping weights in and out of their compartments means you can change weight on the fly if you need to during an indoor workout. If out for a walk/jog, you can add or subtract weight depending on how challenging you want your workout to be.
- Grows With You: I love that you can gradually add weight. A lot of ankle straps come with only one weight. This allows you to combine 5 individual weighted ankle straps into one!
- The Price: That leads me to the price. For what you are getting, this is a bargain.
- Free Shipping: This is always a plus when it comes to ordering from Amazon!
- Comfortable: I have used armband equipment with neoprene for my workouts and it is extremely comfortable and doesn’t rub or chafe at all.
- Universal Fit: Another instance where it grows with you. If your muscles get bigger or you lose weight and get smaller, the Velcro straps will allow the ankle straps to easily adjust to your size.
- Durability: Having the stitching reinforced along with strong outer trim means that you will be able to use these ankle/wrist straps for years to come, thus having them pay for themselves in a short amount of time.
- Breathable and Washable: Since you will be getting sweaty while using these, it’s great to know that they still let your legs/wrists breathe are easily hand washable. No old sweat smell while running for you!
- Customer Service: Sportneer genuinely seems to want feedback and questions so that they can constantly provide better products. It’s nice to see a company so open to suggestions.
As you can see from my list of pros, I absolutely love the Sportneer Ankle Weights. However, I always like to give both sides of the story with every product I review:
- Chemical Smell: I saw that more than a few people complained about a chemical smell that came with the ankle straps. This most likely comes from the neoprene fabric. It might help to immediately hand wash them before your first use in order to rid them of the smell.
- Removing and Adding Weight: Because they want the weight compartments to be snug so the weights don’t slip, it can be a little difficult to get them in and out when adjusting your amount of weight. It’s not impossible, but it isn’t as easy as you might hope.
A Review Of The Reviews
It’s one thing to take my word for it, but I always like to provide a look at how others have viewed a product. Therefore, here is the Amazon star breakdown for the Sportneer Ankle Weights:
Out of 401 Total Reviews:
- 176 5-Star Reviews (71%)
- 32 4-Star Reviews (15%)
- 10 3-Star Reviews (4%)
- 12 2-Star Reviews (4%)
- 18 1-Star Reviews (6%)
I like to review products that have good amount of reviews because I think it gives a better cross-section overall of the consensus. For Sportneer’s ankle weights, you have a very positive user experience (86% of reviews are 4 or 5 stars!), giving me confidence that you will be satisfied with your purchase!
The Verdict – Walk Or Run To Get A Pair
Sportneer Ankle Weights are an easy, effective, and budget-friendly way to increase the intensity of any workout you may be doing. Their versatility makes them a great addition to your HIIT or cardio routine.
If you are as convinced as I am, please click on any of the product links in the post or the official Amazon picture link below to be taken directly to the product page.
However, now it’s your turn! What do you think of Sportneer’s weights? Do you think they would give your workout a boost?
Do you have any experience with these or any other kind of ankle weights? What was it like? Let me know down in the comments below!
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave those too and I will be more than happy to try to answer them in a timely fashion!
If you feel that someone else could benefit from this post or any other that you might find on this site, please feel free to click on or more of those share buttons that have followed you down the page.
Don’t forget to bookmark Get Fit On A Budget so you can stay up to date on the latest articles!
That’s all for now! As always, God bless and happy workouts!