I do a lot of running, so I know what it is like to go through pairs of shoes. I also know how important it is to find a shoe that is going to be comfortable and durable enough for the many miles I’m going to put on them. I’ve had varying degrees of success, but now, I’m confident enough to say that the ASICS Gel Contend 5 shoes are the best I have ever owned!
As I stated, I’ve been through many pairs of shoes. I ran cross county in high school and generally found it difficult to get a shoe that was comfortable. I remember having to bandage my ankles because I’d get blisters in my Achilles tendon area.
Years later, I owned a really great pair of New Balance shoes that were nice and light so I didn’t feel like I was dragging. They were extremely breathable, as well, which any runner will tell you, is highly important in regards the comfort area. The only gripe I had with them was the insert padding was pretty thin, so I would wonder if my support was all it could be.
Once I ran the treads all the way down on those and they got a hole near the toes after years of service, it came time to replace them. I then did what any responsible shopper would do: I researched by going to a shoe store to try on many pairs of shoes to see what would be the worthy successor!
When looking for a running shoe, I immediately gravitate toward two brands: New Balance and ASICS. This was to be no different. The only problem was the shoe store I visited only carried New Balance in wide (definitely not my foot size). I was disappointed since I just had such a great experience with New Balance.
I didn’t have the time to visit another store that day, so I decided to look at my other go-to: ASICS. After trying on several pairs and styles, I found the Gel Contend 5’s. I’m several months into owning them, and in a few moments, you will see why I’m over the moon!
The Overview – What, How Much, And Where To Buy
The Product: ASICS Gel-Contend 5
Where to Buy: Amazon.com
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (with 219 reviews)
My Star Rating: 4.7 out of 5
Specs and Features
Before we get to the basics behind the ASICS, let me first give a little note as to why on earth I would be reviewing a shoe and telling you to purchase it online.
First and foremost, the reason I would be telling you to look at Amazon is that you aren’t going to pay retail price their. Every style of the shoe is on sale for less than full asking price. Secondly, you don’t have to worry about whether your size is available in the store, as all the options are their for you.
Lastly, from what I have been reading, these ASICS are very true to size, so there shouldn’t be a problem when ordering them online.
That being said, I do have some advice: Before you go ahead and click to purchase, especially if you haven’t bought shoes online before, I would do like I did and go visit a shoe store to make sure you properly measure your foot. Additionally, you can try on the shoes before you buy them, so you aren’t going in completely blind.
You could purchase them without doing this, but I personally don’t like the extra hassle of finding out they are the wrong size, or they are just plain uncomfortable, and having to ship them back in exchange for another pair
I simply went to a local Famous Footwear, where you can go up and down the aisles, pick up a bunch of shoes yourself, measure yourself, and freely try them on without any pressure from a salesperson. That way, you can make the most informed decision and not feel guilty for walking out of the store empty-handed!
After that, you can then purchase (through my link, if you wouldn’t mind) through Amazon and reap the savings benefits! It may be an extra step, but for those who are budget-minded, it is a necessary one!
Now that that long disclaimer is out of the way, ASICS and the ASICS Gel Contend 5!
According to their website, ASICS is an athletic apparel company that was founded by Kihachiro Onitsuka in 1949, who began making athletic shoes in his home. He chose the name ASICS, which is derived from the Latin phrase “Anima Sana In Corpore Sano” which translates to “a sound mind in a sound body”.
Since then, ASICS has become one of the leading athletic apparel brands, with an amazing reputation for creating some of the best running shoes available. If you want to learn more about the brand or see the other apparel they offer, feel free to head on over to their website!
The Gel-Contend 5 is the newest member of the Gel-Contend series and boasts several features that attempt to improve the running experience:
- Ortholite Sock Liner: Designed to make your run more comfortable by helping to manage the amount of moisture (sweat) that contacts your foot inside the shoe.
- Rearfoot Gel Technology Cushioning System: Reduces the shock force when you bring your foot down, allowing for comfort and a smoother transition of weight.
- Amplifoam Midsole: Remains durable even with a softer density. This softer density of foam also allows for better flexibility and comfort while running in the shoe.
- Solid Rubber Outsole: Allows for greater durability and slower wearing down of the shoe.
- Internal Heel Counter: Provides greater support for your feet.
- Athletic Mesh: Placed in strategic locations to allow for greater breathability during your runs.
The sizes you can expect to see are pretty standard, but slightly differ depending on the color you choose. The range is from size 6 to 15 (including half sizes), with some styles coming in X-Wide for men.
For women, the size range is 5 to 12 (including half sizes), with some styles coming in Wide. The kids can wear them all the way from 1 Toddler to 4M US depending on the style. I’ll list the different colors below along with the sizes that ARE NOT available to save you some tedious reading:
- Carrier Grey/Silver: Size 7 not available.
- Black and White: Sizes 6 X-Wide, 6.5 X-Wide, 7 X-Wide, and 7.5 X-Wide not available.
- Indigo Blue/Silver: Sizes 6 X-Wide, 6.5 X-Wide, 7 X-Wide, and 7.5 X-Wide not available.
- Black/Metropolis: Sizes 6, 6 X-Wide, 6.5, 6.5 X-Wide, and 7.5 X-Wide not available.
- Black/Dark Grey: Sizes 6, 6 X-Wide, 6.5, 6.5 X-Wide, 7 X-Wide, and 7.5 X-Wide not available.
- Mid Grey/Black: No X-Wide sizes are available.
- Sheet Rock/Safety Yellow: No X-Wide sizes are available.
- Steel Grey/Red Snapper: No X-Wide sizes are available.
- Blue Expanse/Sour Yuzu: Sizes 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8.5, and all X-Wide sizes not available.
- Grand Shark/White: All sizes available.
- Mid Grey/Icy Morning: All sizes available.
- Metropolis/Fuchsia Purple: Size 5 Wide not available.
- Black/Ice Mint: No Wide sizes available.
- Black/Silver: No Wide sizes available.
- Piedmont Grey/Laser Pink: Sizes 11.5 and all Wide sizes not available.
- Skylight/Silver: No Wide sizes available.
- White/Vapor: Sizes 11.5 and all Wide sizes not available.
- White/Orchid: Sizes 5, 5.5, 12, and all Wide sizes not available.
- Astral/Orchid: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Little Kid; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Classic Red/Silver: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Little Kid; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Piedmont Grey/Sun Coral: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Little Kid; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Pink Cameo/White: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Little Kid; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Ash Rock/Silver: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Black/Speed Red: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Blue Coast/Hot Pink: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Carrier Grey/Baltic Jewel: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Ice Mint/Deep Sapphire: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Mid Grey/New Leaf: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Blue Expanse/Island Blue: Sizes 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3 Toddler; 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, 13 Little Kid; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Illusion Blue/Lemon Spark: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 3.5 3, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Black/Black: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 10, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Little Kid; 3.5 Big Kid, and 4 M US not available.
- Illusion Blue/Lemon: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 10, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 11, 12, and 13 Little Kid; 3, 3.5, and 4 Big Kid not available.
- Blue Expanse/Island: Sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 10, 11, 12, and 13 Toddler; 1, 11, 12, and 13 Little Kid; 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7 Big Kid, and 4 M US.
Here is where I will get into the reasons why I love the ASICS Gel Contend 5 shoes and why I think they would make a great addition to your running gear.
- Budget-Friendly Price: Even at full retail price, you really aren’t paying all that much for the amount of use you will get out of them.
- Trusted Brand: ASICS is one of, if not the top brand when it comes to making running shoes. They have a great reputation and strive to create high-quality products. The fact that they have been around since the late 1940s is a testament to their longevity as a brand.
- Extreme Comfort: One of the first things I noticed when I put these on was just how comfortable they felt. The Amplifoam and gel cushioning is really noticeable from the outset, taking a lot of the impact off of your feet.
- Extra Spring: One of the first things I noticed when I took the Gel Contend’s out for their inaugural run was how good the transfer of energy was. The Amplifoam really seemed like it gave an extra little spring after impact to keep me moving forward.
- Dry and Breathable: I love how the mesh goes all the way around the shoes and how Ortholite sock liner really does a great job of taking away the moisture. I have gone on some warm day runs and the shoes remain pretty dry and any wetness is quickly gone after a while.
- Great Support: Of all the shoes I have owned, I don’t think I have ever had running shoes with this much support around the ankles. In comparison with other shoes, the area (including the tongue) where you slide your foot in seems much thicker. This really hugs your ankles and gives them the support they need.
- Great Selection: No matter what your taste is in color schemes, the Gel Contend 5’s has something for you. I really find them to be an attractive shoe. I personally wear the black and white version as I like simple and straightforward, but I have to admit the red and black was a close second.
There is very little that I can complain about with the ASICS Gel Contend 5. However, I always want to give both sides as best I can. With that said, my cons include:
- Tread: One thing I have noticed and am concerned about is the depth of the tread. I’ve had other shoes that had deeper tread and lasted a good while, but these treads are somewhat shallow, so I’m not sure if they will last as long. I’m hoping the solid rubber outsole is able to hold up.
- Not All Sizes: It is unfortunate that each shoe does not come in every size. I’m not really sure why they would do that as it has the potential to limit the choices for certain people.
A Review Of The Reviews
We have finally come to the point in this review of the ASICS Gel Contend 5 shoes where it is time to look at public opinion. As always, it’s one thing for me to say what I think, but taking a look at the crowd is sometimes extremely helpful, especially because they consumers just like you, who are looking for a quality product.
Now you will notice that because these shoes are newer, they don’t have as many reviews as some of my other posts. However, the reason I am still writing about it is because of how awesome an experience I’ve had with them.
Therefore, we have come to our Amazon Star-Rating Breakdown! Let’s get to it!
Out of 219 Total Reviews:
- 159 5-Star Reviews (79%)
- 22 4-Star Reviews (11%)
- 7 3-Star Reviews (3%)
- 5 2-Star Reviews (3%)
- 7 1-Star Reviews (4%)
From the breakdown of the reviews, it seems like I’m not alone as others are overwhelmingly having a positive experience with the shoes.
The Verdict – Walk This Way
If you are looking to have an incredibly comfortable experience, whether walking, jogging, or just going from here to there, the ASICS Gel Contend 5 shoes are a great choice. The features are great and the styles are varied enough to fit anyone’s style and personality.
Now it’s your turn! What is your go-to running shoe brand? What is your experience with ASICS? Have you ever tried any in the Gel Contend series? What was you experience like?
Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
If you think you are ready to purchase, go ahead and click any one of the product links above or below and you will be taken to the right page. Once there you can choose your preferred style. I’m really interested in hearing your feedback when you try them!
In case you are looking for a workout routine to use your new pair of shoes, head check out the following articles:
I look forward to hearing your thoughts and if you found this post helpful, why not click on one or more of the share buttons you can find on the page? It helps out the site and I would greatly appreciate it!
Until next time, God bless and happy workouts!