As you may already know, if you have been following this website for any length of time, I am a huge fan of resistance bands. In fact, I have mentioned them many times in multiple posts. Today, I am really excited to highlight yet another great resistance band product, the Gorilla Bow.
Before I get into all the details of why I think this is a great addition to your home gym, let me explain why I love resistance bands so much.
The first reason is because when compared to free weights, they are so much less expensive! Coming from a budget-minded perspective, that is a huge detail that I can’t overlook. You can easily pay hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for a whole set of dumbbells or bench press equipment. I don’t know, about you, but that’s out of my price range!
Secondly, they are incredibly versatile. Let’s put it this way. If I told you that you could do all the exercises with bands that you could do with free weights, and at a fraction of the cost, what would you say? Now, what if I told you that resistance bands are actually better than free weights in some very important ways?
If you don’t believe me, then check out this video from Bodybuilding.com’s YouTube channel that features James Grage:
As you can see, there are several ways in which the tension of resistance bands is superior to free weights and can give you a better overall workout, especially when you are talking about functional fitness (check out this article from WebMD for a good look at what functional fitness is).
Now, I definitely have my favorite type of resistance bands, which I try to bring up as much as I possibly can. Those would be Bodylastics Resistance Bands, which you can check out in my full review by CLICKING HERE. However, that doesn’t mean I am open to other quality products, and with the gorilla bow, I think I have found one!
Therefore, without further hesitation, it’s time to dive into what makes this bow worthy of my endorsement!
The Overview – What And Where To Buy
The Product: The Gorilla Bow Portable Home Gym
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (Unfortunately, you have to pay for shipping. More on that later.)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars (with 237 reviews)
Company Background, Specs and Features
The Gorilla Bow company was founded by two regular guys named Tom and Chris. They met because their kids went to the same school. In talking, they found out they both enjoyed fitness and archery. However, it wasn’t until the popular Hunger Games series that an idea was sparked.
That’s when they decided to start experimenting, testing out several ideas of the early Gorilla Bow. In 2017, they started a Kickstarter campaign to see what kind of interest there was in this type of product. They got such a good response that they decided to start manufacturing and shipping.
Things really started to take off when health clubs, including Elevate Gym and BulFrog Fit, started bringing them in for their programs and the rest is history.
Gorilla Bow’s mission is to give people a fitness option that can be used by anyone, anywhere, any time. Check out their full story at their “About” page.
As for the Gorilla Fitness Bow itself, you will find some definitely unique features that set it apart from other types of resistance band equipment.
The first thing you will notice is that it comes with a weight-lifting bar instead of handles. However, this isn’t just any bar, but it is inspired by the bows of archery (as seen by the curved nature and the fact that the resistance bands attach at each end).
What this means is that the Gorilla Bow exercises you can do are not only everything you would expect from a regular gym barbell, but if you happen to be into archery (be it competition, hobby, or hunting) you will be able to work out muscles that directly relate to those movements as well.
Each Gorilla Bow home gym comes with a variety of resistance bands (with the bows able to support up to 4 bands at a time) in varying weights, which we will cover in just a moment.
The bow is made of aircraft-grade T6 aluminum and depending on the bow you select, it will come with either 3 or 4 resistance bands, a band wrap that protects you and your bands when doing exercises like the chest press, and a carrying bag for the bands.
Speaking of the types of bows, there are three you can choose from with varying specs and colors:
- The Lite Bow: Available in black, green, or pink.
- Weighs 3lbs and is 48 inches long.
- The bar is 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Has a maximum weight capacity of 120lbs.
- Comes with 3 bands totaling 60lbs of resistance (10, 20, and 30lb bands)
- The Original Bow: Available in black.
- Weighs 6lbs and is 56 inches long.
- The bar is 1 inch in diameter.
- Has a maximum weight capacity of 300lbs.
- Comes with 4 bands totaling 110lbs of resistance (10, 20, 30, and 50lb bands)
- The Travel Bow: Available in black and green.
- Weighs 6lbs and is 56 inches long when completely assembled.
- The bar is 1 inch in diameter.
- Has a maximum weight capacity of 350-400lbs.
- Comes with 4 bands totaling 110lbs of resistance (10, 20, 30, and 50lb bands).
Additionally, you are able to purchase a couple of accessories to enhance your workout experience:
- Full Length Gorilla Bow Case: For the “Lite Bow” and “Original Bow”.
- Travel Bow Case: For the “Travel Bow”.
- Ultra Heavy Band Set: Comes with two 80lb bands and two 90lb bands allowing you an extra 340lbs of resistance.
Lastly, each Gorilla Bow offers a 90-day money back guarantee as well as a 2-year warranty on their products.
To see the Gorilla Bow in action, check out this short video:
For me, there is a lot to like about the Gorilla Bow. Here are the things that stand out most to me:
- Durable: When we are talking about aircraft-grade aluminum, you know, it’s doing to be flexible, yet durable. The bands are also quality so you won’t have to worry about anything breaking.
- High Weight Capacity: Being able to lift a maximum of 400lbs is enough for most anyone. In fact, it’s one of the highest weight capacities I have seen for resistance bands!
- Compact. No matter which version you try, but especially the “Travel Bow” you are going to get a product that isn’t going to take up much room at all. You can easily store this in your closet if you are lacking space.
- Portability: Since it is so lightweight and comes with a carrying bag for the bands, you can literally do your workout anywhere you want, whenever you want. Add the bow’s carrying case to the mix and it’s even better.
- Variety: Having three different bows fits your style and preference.
- Price: Compared to sets of dumbbells or what it would take to fully equip yourself with a comparable barbell, the Gorilla Bows are a great, budget-friendly option.
- Number Of Exercises: Gorilla Bow workouts will most definitely target your entire body and work multiple muscle groups at the same time. There are so many possibilities! Check out a sample, full-body workout below:
- Simplicity: There aren’t any complicated pieces of equipment here. Just bands and a bow. See this video for how to easily change out the bands.
- No Risk To Your Home: I love my Bodylastics bands, but there have been times when I got concerned about the doors I anchored into. Not having to hook up an anchor to any door means I don’t have to worry about that anymore.
- Warranty: It’s nice to know, that you have 90 days to try it out without any risk and then 2 years of full coverage should anything break.
With all those positives, no Gorilla Bow review on my site would be complete without first letting you know, what I think some cons might be. Here is what I see:
- Accessories: It’s kind of a bummer for me that things like the travel case and ultra heavy resistance bands are not included with the purchase of the Bow. I would have liked to just see an ultra heavy set where everything was present.
- Shipping: Right now, only the pink version of the “Lite Bow” qualifies for free shipping, even if you have Amazon Prime. Though it isn’t too expensive, not having all of them quality seems silly to me.
- Colors: While 3 colors is nice, not all the colors are available on each variety, which is odd to me.
- Weight Capacity Puzzle: While the highest weight capacity of the bows is 400lbs for the “Travel Bow”, adding the ultra heavy accessory band set to that would give you a total of 450lbs of resistance. Does that mean that you have a wasted 50lbs that you can’t use? Or can it handle all 450lbs?
- No Extra Grip: While the bow portion is made of powder-coated aluminum (meaning a rough texture) there is no padded grip, which makes me wonder if it would start to hurt as you go up in weight and necessitate padded weight-lifting gloves.
A Review Of The Reviews
Now that you know, my opinion on what is good and what isn’t, it’s time to look at what others think. My word is only one of many out there, so it is only fair to you to present what other people are saying about any product I review. I want you to be able to have as good a chance as possible of making a well-informed decision.
With that said, let’s take a look at the Amazon star breakdown for the Gorilla Bow!
Out of 237 Total Reviews:
- 123 5-Star Reviews (67%)
- 29-Star Reviews (17%)
- 7 3-Star Reviews (5%)
- 5 2-Star Reviews (3%)
- 17 1-Star Reviews (8%)
While the total number of reviews isn’t as high as say, Bodylastics, there is enough here to get a gauge on what people are thinking. While there seems to be room for improvement, the rating is still incredibly positive with 84% of the ratings being 4-5 stars!
The Verdict – Keep Your Bows Up!
The Gorilla Bow is a really awesome piece of home gym equipment. Versatile, sturdy, and portable, this is something I think you would do very well adding to your repertoire! The good definitely outweighs any negatives I might have for it, so if you are ready to get some serious lifting going, purchase your Gorilla Bow TODAY!
Either click on any of product name links or picture links anywhere in the review to be taken directly to the right page!
Now, it’s your turn! What do you think of the Gorilla Bow? Have you used it or anything like it before? What do you like most? What do you think could be improved? Let me know, down in the comments section below.
If you have any questions that you don’t think I answered in the review, please just ask and I will do my best to help you out.
Did you like what you read? Do you want to read more from the site and help it reach more people? Then I have a job for you.
First, please enter your email address in the subscribe box above. Your inbox won’t be spammed with endless newsletters, but you will receive a notification every time I publish a new post on the site!
Second, please take a moment to hit those share buttons to get the word out to your social networks if you enjoyed what you read here. I would greatly appreciate the support!
That’s all for now! Take care of yourselves and as always, God bless and Happy Workouts!