Nearly ten years ago, I was walking through a store, searching for this piece of equipment that my friend raved about. I was a little skeptical, I must say. How could it make push ups more effective? Well, I’m here to tell you, he was right. Want to up your push up game? This is the Perfect Push Up review you need to read.
Now I know that push ups aren’t everybody’s jam. They seem difficult, challenging, and for some, downright impossible (my wife included!) However, there aren’t many exercises that you can say work pretty much your entire upper body.
Push ups are a great workout for your arms, back, and core muscles. They can also, depending on how you perform them, even hit your lower body! This is because at the top of a push up is the plank position, which engages nearly every muscle in your body.
Push ups are versatile as well because, depending on your hand positioning, you can target different muscles in different ways. This allows you to work both primary and stabilizing muscles. Additionally, they can be done virtually anywhere (great for small spaces or travel)!
Lastly, they can be easily modified, both for those who aren’t ready for a full push up and for those who are looking to give themselves a greater challenge! There is, without doubt, a modification that goes along with your pace of progression. If you still need convincing, here is a list of 82 push up variations you can do!
With that said, while doing normal push ups is great exercise, I like to involve as many muscles as possible. This is why I sometimes like to add a simple piece of equipment. Without further ado, I’m here to give you The Perfect Push Up review!
The Overview – What, How Much, And Where To Buy
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (with Free Shipping!)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (with 1,756 reviews)
Specs and Features
The Perfect Push Up was the first product released in 2006 from the Perfect Fitness Company. It’s founder’s name is Alden Mills, a former Navy Seal of seven years. He was chosen to do a study as to why Navy Seals suffered injuries at a much higher rate (I’m assuming injuries other than those sustained in firefights).
What he found was that many injuries happened because training methods had not been updated. Therefore, he decided to create a method of training that would reduce that injury risk, but still get the desired results. The fruit of that labor was the previously mentioned Perfect Push Up.
The company’s desire is to create fitness equipment that focuses on natural, functional training movements and isn’t expensive or bulky. They like to think that they cater to everyone, from the beginner to the elite athlete.
You can check out their full story, as well as other products they offer at the Perfect Fitness website.
This story of creating products that everyone can use, and be challenged by, is certainly evident in their products. As for the Perfect Push Up Elite there are some things you should know.
The push up stands are designed to rotate as you perform the push up movement, thus incorporating more muscles into each repetition. This rotation is smooth due to steel ball bearings within the push up stands.
With rotation in mind, I have found that depending on the type of push up you choose to do with the Perfect Push Up, they almost force you to use the correct form. Correct form means less chance of injury, which is a huge positive!
The rubber handles are also designed to take your weight evenly and relieve pressure and strain on your wrists and joints.
As a safety (and floor-saving) feature, the bottoms of the Perfect Push Up are designed with no-slip treads that will make sure the stands stay in place while you perform each exercise movement.
Due to their ability to distribute weight and their solid construction, the stands are also able to take a maximum weight of 400lbs.
Lastly, suggestions for workouts are everywhere. It has been years since I purchased my set, so I am not sure if they still come with the suggested workout chart. However, workouts are plentiful as I did a quick Google search and came up with both the chart and a great website I have used before that has a whole section on push ups.
Check out the picture for the chart and the link below!
Image by PixabayAs I mentioned before, I own my own set of the Perfect Push Up, so I can tell you first-hand that they are a really great product. With that said, let’s take a look at the pros of purchasing your own:
- Budget-Friendly Price: Owning such a versatile and effective set of push up bars isn’t going to set you back all that much. At it’s current price point, this is practically a steal that will pay for itself in no time considering how much a gym membership costs!
- Effective: A push up is one of the most effective exercises for nearly your entire body when it is just done by itself. Add the Perfect Push Up’s rotational design into the mix, and you will be engaging more muscle groups. This means greater gains in strength in a shorter amount of time.
- Safe: The Perfect Push Up is made of tough material, and the no-slip bottoms mean you don’t have to worry about coming crashing down to the floor unexpectedly. It is a well-designed product from a safety standpoint! Additionally, because they make your body use correct push up form, you likely won’t experience injury.
- Portability: Lightweight and small, you can take and exercise with them ANYWHERE! I’ve stuffed mine in a bag at the last minute to take on a trip.
- Versatile: You can do any of the aforementioned 82 push up variations with the Perfect Push Up. That means that no matter what type of push up you are doing, it will be enhanced to include the most muscle groups possible. They can also be combined with resistance bands to give an even greater challenge! Check out this video below:
You may have noticed during the video that the trainer used Bodylastics Resistance Bands. These are the exact kind that I personally have used to gain over 20lbs of muscle. Check out my full review to find out more information!
Having owned the Perfect Push Up, there are no major concerns that I have run into thus far. However, there are a couple of minor things I noticed during my use:
- Hand Discomfort: As I got into higher amounts of reps, I noticed some discomfort in my palms. This is mostly due to the fact that while the majority of your weight is distributed evenly with the Perfect Push Up, it’s also all on your palms, which are on a bar. While cushioned, during long bouts of push ups, it still got to me a bit.
- Possibility of Boredom: While there are over 82 push up variations, a push up is still up, down, up, down. While the results and challenge are totally worth it, for those who like variety, you may not want these to be your only means of strength training.
That however, is about it. I really do stand by the quality of this product and the results it has produced for me. I think these minor cons aren’t really enough to dissuade me from using them or purchasing again, if I had to.
A Review Of The Reviews
Having gone over the pros and cons, it’s time to take a look at what the public is saying about the Perfect Push Up Elite. For that, I go directly to the Amazon Star Breakdown to get a great sampling of people’s opinions.
Out of 1,756 Total Reviews:
- 1,393 5-Star Reviews (81%)
- 212 4-Star Reviews (9%)
- 69 3-Star Reviews (4%)
- 24 2-Star Reviews (2%)
- 58 1-Star Reviews (5%)
As you can see, it is an overwhelmingly positive picture and I can personally vouch for that because of my own use. For me, they are definitely of 5-Star quality because I’ve had them for so long and gotten such great results.
They have been through workout after workout, as well as two young kids standing on them with no hint of breaking down yet! To me, that says it all!
The Verdict – Go Get ‘Em!
I think you would be so pleased if you decided to purchase the Perfect Push Up Elite. It has so much to offer at a fraction of the price it is worth. If I could go back all those years, walking through that store, I would do the same thing all over again. That is how impressed with them I have been!
Now it’s your turn! Have you ever used the Perfect Push Up? Are their any other push up pieces of equipment that you think I should take a look at in a future review?
While we are at it, let’s have a little competition. What is the maximum amount of push ups you have done in one set?
Thanks for taking the time to read “The Perfect Push Up Review”. I hope that you feel more informed about the product. If you want to pick up your own set today, click any one of the links provided or the pictures below and you will be taken directly to where you need to go!
Until next time, God bless and happy workouts!