In the world of Get Fit On A Budget, adjustable dumbbells are a lifesaver. Not only are the budget-friendly, but they are space-saving too! I recently reviewed Bowflex’s version, the SelectTech 552 (CLICK HERE to read the full review), but was looking for some alternatives as well. That’s where the PowerBlock Sport 24 dumbbells enter the picture!
Let’s face it, some may need dumbbells that go into higher weights, but there are a lot of people who don’t. In fact, according to WebMd, studies have shown that lifting heavy and lifting light can ultimately achieve similar results as far as creating new muscle proteins is concerned. The difference is in the number of repetitions.
In the study, both groups (heavy and light) lifted until their muscles experienced fatigue and they couldn’t perform anymore repetitions. Unsurprisingly, it took fewer repetitions to fatigue for the heavy group and more for the light group.
Livestrong.com takes this a little deeper. While the article is a big proponent of lifting heavier weights, as there are a great many benefits, you may notice one piece of information that stands out when it comes to lifting lighter weights for more repetitions.
Your muscles are divided into two types of fibers. The first is fast-twich muscle fibers, which are beneficial for explosive movements (like those needed for heavy lifting). The second type are slow-twitch muscle fibers, which are useful for more endurance-based activities, such as long distance running (See ACE Fitness for more information).
Why am I telling you all this? Well, the type of weight you purchase can cater to the type of exercise you like to do. If you are a bodybuilder and want to gain mass, then I suggest going with products that can take you to heavier weights. Here are a few suggestions that I would personally make:
- Bodylastics Resistance Bands
- Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
- Bowflex SelectTech 840 Kettlebell
However, if you are a long-distance runner (or do any kind of long-sustained activity), you want to build endurance, not bulk. Ever seen a bodybuilder try to run?
If you fit into the endurance category, then keep reading, because the PowerBlock 24 may just be the perfect fit for you and your training routine!
The Overview – What And Where To Buy
The Product: PowerBlock Sport 24 Adjustable Dumbbells 2-Pack
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (with Free Shipping!)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (with 1,023 reviews!)
Specs and Features
The PowerBlock company was founded by a man named Carl Towley, who always had a passion for fitness and bodybuilding. Working in fitness clubs he started to noticed areas that could use some improvement, most specifically, the problem of dumbbells lying all over the place (I’m sure if you have been to a gym, you see this problem too).
He began working on inventing an adjustable dumbbell until finally, he landed on the solution that would become the model for all PowerBlock dumbbells.
The immediate difference from other adjustable dumbbells is that you don’t change the weight by using a dial (as with the Bowflex SelectTech). Instead, the weights are “nested” inside of each other and adjusted by a pin, much like a lot of weight lifting machines.
Since opening their first store in 1993, they have made it their mission to develop quality products and listen to their customers to always keep on learning how to be better.
Check out the full story of PowerBlock’s roots by visiting the “About” section of their website HERE.
To check out their full website and the other products that they offer, CLICK HERE.
Now, moving on to the Sport 24 Dumbbells, they have a great list of features for you to enjoy.
These simple dumbbells feature the same nested look as all PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells and have a weight range of 3-24lbs each. The weight increments are as follows: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24. This allows you to gradually move up as your strength increases instead of experiencing a huge jump in weight.
Weights are adjusted by a selector pin and since the weights are all in one, you would have to purchase 8 different pairs of dumbbells to have the Sport 24’s equivalent. Each weight variation is clearly marked and color-coded so you know exactly where to place the pin.
Lastly, the handles are also rubberized to make sure that your grip is both secure and comfortable.
Check out this video for a more in-depth look at the 24’s!
When I’m looking at the PowerBlock Sport 24 dumbbells, I see a lot to like. Here are my main positive takeaways:
- Lighter Weight: As I said before, not everyone needs or wants the ability to bulk up. The Sport 24’s maximum weight of 24lbs is perfect for those who are looking to incorporate light strength training into their endurance routines.
- Easy Adjustment: I have heard a lot of stories about adjustable weights with dials getting stuck. This is pretty much impossible with the PowerBlock’s selector pin design!
- Quick Adjustment: All the weight variations being numbered and color-coded both on the top and sides make switching weights easy to figure out and quick to accomplish. Less time spent troubleshooting and figuring out adjustments means a quicker overall workout experience!
- Small Increments: Since the weights change in increments of 3lbs you shouldn’t ever have to experience a huge jump in weight that make moving up too hard.
- Compact Design: Due to the fact that you are basically getting 8 dumbbells in one, you are saving yourself a lot of space in your home. If you leave them out, they won’t get in the way and if you decide to store them, they won’t take up much room!
- Price: Right now the PowerBlock 24 dumbbells are on sale for over 25% off, which makes them practically a steal! Even with the sale, they still qualify for free shipping as well, which is always a bonus!
While I always look at the positives of a product first, I can’t ignore the negatives. There aren’t that many with the PowerBlock, but they may be noteworthy enough for some. Check those out below:
- Too Light: If you are looking for a way to bulk up, this isn’t the adjustable dumbbell for you. 24lbs is perfect for some, but others will want to go with a heavier option (If this describes you, check out my review of Bowflex’s SelectTech Adjustable Dumbbells).
- Potential Shipping Issue: If you want to be able to start working out right away, that might not be possible as the dumbbells usually ship anywhere between 2-5 weeks. Also, I read that they don’t always come together, so you might get them at separate times, which is inconvenient.
A Review Of The Reviews
I always try to review products that have hundreds, if not thousands of reviews. My word is only one of millions out there, so I think it is only fair to you to present what other people are saying about any product I review. The more people that have used it, the better your chance of making an informed decision.
With that said, let’s take a look at the Amazon star breakdown for the PowerBlock Sport 24 Dumbbells!
Out of 1,023 Total Reviews:
- 531 5-Star Reviews (73%)
- 117-Star Reviews (15%)
- 28 3-Star Reviews (3%)
- 16 2-Star Reviews (2%)
- 54 1-Star Reviews (7%)
With that said, the overwhelming consensus (88% of ratings being 4 or 5 stars) is that this product is absolutely worth the money spent on it!
The Verdict – Power (Lightly) With This Block!
Those looking to add light strength training to their endurance routines should look no further than the PowerBlock Sport 24 dumbbells. They are easy to use, inexpensive, and well-made. You can’t ask for much more than that!
Make sure you click any of the product links above to get your set today, especially because they are on sale! Let’s use our time stuck inside well by keeping ourselves strong and healthy.
For full disclosure, if you purchase any product through my links, I will get a small commission from Amazon. It doesn’t make anything more expensive for you, but it does help me continue to maintain this site!
If you are into endurance training and would like to see more equipment that will help you on your way, check out these posts featuring great, budget-friendly products that are perfect for your home gym!
- TRIBE Fitness Cell Phone Holder
- The Best Running Apps For Your Device
- Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine
- ASICS Gel Content 5 Running Shoes
- Sportneer Adjustable Ankle/Wrist Weights
- MagneTrainer Portable Mini-Exercise Bike
- Xiaomi Mi Band 4 Fitness Tracker
- Exerpeutic Magnetic Folding Exercise Bike
Now, it’s your turn. What advantages do you see to owning the PowerBlock Sport dumbbells over another dumbbell set? What disadvantages do you see?
If any of you have used PowerBlock fitness products before, what was your overall experience with them? Let me know your feedback in the comments below! If you have any questions, I also want to hear them. Tomorrow is once again a comment day, so you will be hearing from me then! Be sure to check back as I do respond to EVERYONE!
If you enjoyed this post and want to stay up to date whenever new content becomes available, please consider becoming a subscriber! It takes only a few seconds and you’ll only be notified when an article goes live! That means you will never get any spam from me!
Lastly, if you think someone else who is stuck inside could benefit from this or any of the other content on this site, please consider hitting those share buttons! I would greatly appreciate it!