Many people are looking for ways to up the amount protein and nutritional intake during a day. One of the most convenient methods for doing this is drinking a meal replacement shake. One popular brand that just came out with an organic line of meal replacement options is Vega with their Vega One Organic All In One Shake. Is it worth your money, though?
For me, the only way I felt I could do this review right was to try it out for myself. I have long used Garden of Life Raw Meal as my go-to meal replacement (read my full review of Garden of Life) with great success. In fact, it was a key factor (along with using Bodylastics Resistance Bands) in me gaining 20lbs of lean muscle!
Now, even though I love 1/2 a scoop of Garden of Life in my smoothies or even oatmeal, it has never been something I’ve wanted to drink straight up. Therefore, I have always been on the lookout for something that could be a better option. Years ago I was curious to try Vega, but was always disappointed to find they didn’t have an organic option.
However, I recently saw that they came out with an organic all-in-one meal replacement powder and I immediately picked up a sample to give it a go.
In order to best test it, I decided to use it in two different ways: straight up in a glass of milk and in my go-to smoothie recipe. We’ll get to those results in a bit, but first, lets look at some information about Vega’s new Organic All-In-One.
The Overview – What, How Much, And Where To Buy
The Product: Vega One Organic All In One Shake
Where to Buy: Amazon.com
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars (with 6,198 reviews)
My Star Rating: 2 out of 5 stars
Specs and Features
Vega is a company that specializes in plant based nutrition. Their product lines include meal replacement and protein powders, pre-made protein shakes, protein bars, protein snacks, and supplements (such as pre-workouts).
Vega’s co-founder is professional triathlete Brendan Brazier, who was trying to come up with a better way to recover in between his training sessions. He was disappointed that there wasn’t an all-in-one supplement to help him do that, so he decided to create one using plant based ingredients.
All their products are:
- Gluten Free
- Grain Free
- Non GMO Project Verified
- Formulated with no artificial flavors or preservatives
- Certified B Corp to ensure they meet strict standards for social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency
- Committed to sustainable practices
As for their Vega One Organic All In One Shake products, the most important thing to start with is the ingredient list:
Protein Sources: Organic Pea Protein, Organic Sunflower Seed Protein, Organic Pumpkin Seed Protein
Fruits and Veggies: Organic Carrot Juice Powder, Organic Spinach Powder, Organic Acerola Chery Juice Powder, Organic Chard Powder, Organic Kale Powder, Organic Lettuce Powder, Organic Pomegranate Juice Powder, Organic Blueberry Juice Powder, Organic Acai Powder
Additional Ingredients: Organic Golden Flaxseed, Organic Pea Starch, Natural Flavors, Organic Agave Inulin Powder, Organic Quinoa Sprouts (Sprouted in water with Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and B7), Organic Chia Seed Powder, Organic Maca Root Powder, Organic Spirulina, Organic Sacha Inchi Powder, Stevia Extract, Probiotics (Bacillus Coagulans, Sea Salt, Xantham Gum, Bromelain, Mushroom Powder.
Each label also comes with the additional information that the product is manufactured in a facility that also processes peanuts, dairy, soy, egg, and tree nuts.
Vega One also comes in a variety of different flavors including:
- Chocolate (Flavored with Cocoa Powder processed with alkali)
- French Vanilla
- Chocolate Mint
- Plain Unsweetened
- Coconut Almond
Each type of Vega One also has a nutritional profile that includes:
- 20 grams of plant-based protein
- 50% of your daily value of certain vitamins and minerals
- 4 grams of fiber
- 500mg of Omega-3 ALA
- 2 billion CFUs of the probiotic bacillus coagulans
Now that you know a little more about the company and the product, it’s time to get to what is good about it and what is not!
There are a few pros that I’d like to point out about the Vega One Organic All In One Shake:
- The Organic Shift: It is really nice that Vega is looking to shift more of their products towards using organic ingredients. It makes a lot of sense based on the audience that will be looking to purchase their products. In this day and age, if you are plant-based, you had better be organic as well.
- Responsibility: I’m also glad to see that they are trying to be environmentally responsible when it comes toproducing their product lines. It is possible to be both successful and conscious of your impact on the world around us.
- Quality Ingredients: There is a pretty good selection of ingredients here, providing varied sources of protein as well as a few very healthy super foods.
- Variety: The amount of flavors you can choose from is great! I’ve seen several plant-based brands, Garden of Life included, that only offer a select few flavor choices. Having 7 different ones means you will likely find one that suits you best.
- Nutrition: The nutritional content is provides good amount of essential vitamins and minerals, protein, fiber, and probiotics. At 140 calories, it’s also not going to bust your weight management goals either. Lastly, it’s low in carbs and fat.
Now before going into this “cons” section, I am mostly comparing it to Garden of Life Raw Meal because that is what I
have used previously. If I’m going to choose one thing over another, it has to be better in almost every way.
With this in mind, you will now see the reasons why I gave the Vega One Organic All In One Shake a 2 out of 5 stars rating in my overview:
- The Price: For only 25 oz of powder (For comparison’s sake, Garden of Life costs about the same while providing 36.6 oz of powder!), it is pretty steep for only about 20 servings.
- The Protein Sources: From what I can see, Vega has three sources of protein (pea, sunflower seed, and pumpkin seed). By comparison, Garden of Life gets its protein from pea protein, sprouted brown rice protein, and a combination of 12 different healthy sprouts!
- Lacking Fruit and Veggie Variety: Vega includes 5 varieties of veggies and 4 fruits. Garden of Life has an extensive list of 16 veggies and 7 fruits.
- Lacking in Greens: Vega includes only one type of green in spirulina, while Garden of Life provides 5 varieties.
- Lacking in Probiotics: While Vega provides 2 billion CFUs compared to Garden of Life’s 1.5 billion CFUs, it is with only one variety of probiotic while the later has two. Garden of Life also includes 13 different digestive enzymes to Vega’s 1.
- Less Fiber: Vega provides 4 grams of dietary fiber, while Garden of Life provides 7 grams. With so many Americans not getting enough fiber into their daily diets, it is essential to get all you can out of your meal replacement.
These are just the cons when it comes to the two brands’ contents. Possibly the biggest deciding factor in purchasing one over the other is a matter of taste.
As I stated above, I went about this in two ways in order to best compare Vega to what I knew and loved already. I usually use half a scoop of Garden of Life, so I took my Vega sample (which equaled one whole scoop), and split in two.
My first test was how it tasted straight up in just a plain glass of cold milk. I’ve tried this with Garden of Life before and to be honest, they both fall very short in this category. In no way, shape, or form, should you try either of them straight up as both were incredibly unpleasant and nearly undrinkable.
I was still hopeful, however, because my real test was whether it would work in my go-to smoothie recipe. It includes banana, peanut butter, milk, kale, spinach, and either frozen blueberries or frozen mixed berries. When I add Garden of Life to it, I find it contributes positively to the overall flavor of the drink.
When I made my smoothie with Vega… I was decidedly…disgusted. The same terrible aftertaste that was present when drinking it straight up remained and overpowered all the ingredients in the smoothie. I finished it because I hate waste, but I didn’t want to. It was that unpleasant.
A Review Of The Reviews
Well, you have heard my honest opinion, but now it’s time to look at public opinion. As always, it’s one thing for me to say what I think, but taking a look at the crowd is sometimes extremely helpful, especially because they consumers just like you, who are looking for a quality product.
Therefore, we have come to our Amazon Star-Rating Breakdown! Let’s get to it!
Out of 5,969 Total Reviews:
- 3,013 5-Star Reviews (62%)
- 727 4-Star Reviews (11%)
- 496 3-Star Reviews (7%)
- 452 2-Star Reviews (7%)
- 877 1-Star Reviews (13%)
While there are a huge amount of positive reviews, it doesn’t convince me. For me to purchase something based on public opinion, the score needs to be higher than that. The amount of 1-star reviews is really concerning to me, as many customers seem to have had the same experience as me and would not purchase again.
The Verdict – Vega Is No Garden Of Life
If you are looking for a quality organic vegan meal replacement powder to up your protein and nutrition, it is my opinion that Vega is not worth your time. There are just too many concerns that I have and after personally taste-testing it, I can tell you I would never want to put it near my mouth again in any form.
Go ahead and check out my full review of Garden of Life Raw Meal. I think you will get a lot more out of it, just as I have over the past several years.
Now it’s your turn! What do you think of the Vega One Organic All In One Shake? Have you tried Vega or Garden of Life products before? Which is better to you?
Is there a different meal replacement shake that you think I should try out and review?
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. If you happen to have any questions, please feel free to leave those below too!
If you found this article to be helpful, please feel free to share it by clicking on one of the icons on the page! I greatly appreciate it!
Until next time, God bless and happy workouts!