I love running, but I hate doing it in the cold. If you are like me, you want the option to continue your cardio without being hampered by the elements. That is why I think the XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill is a perfect, budget-friendly choice for the nastiest of days!
Where I live, it is smack in the middle of winter and the other morning, it was 16 degrees outside. No, thank you! Yet, I see people running on these types of mornings all the time on my way to work.
Some are bundled to the point where you can’t even see their faces. Others go the less-is-more route and still wear shorts with just a long sleeve shirt. I’m dedicated to my fitness, but honestly not to that point. I did it once in high school for a cross-country meet and it was awful.
However, if they are OK with that, then great! My philosophy has always been that you have a much better chance of maintaining exercise consistency if you aren’t miserable while doing it. You will stick with what works for you!
Some find treadmills to be monotonous and boring. For me, any probably many of you out there, a treadmill is a great option when the weather turns foul.
So let’s get to it and find out why the XTERRA should be your next home gym addition!
The Overview – What, How Much, And Where To Buy
The Product: The XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill
Where to Buy: Amazon.com (Now 12% off and still ships FREE!)
Amazon Star-Rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars (with 852 reviews)
Specs and Features – What To Expect
XTERRA Fitness is an equipment company that has been around for over 30 years. They have been working with all levels of athletes to help them develop their equipment for the purpose of best serving their customers.
When they design their equipment, they look to build it with effectiveness, comfort, and durability in mind. The also strive to give their customers the best possible service experience as you will find out in a bit.
Click this link to read more about the XTERRA Fitness Company and the products they offer.
Their XTERRA TR150 Folding Treadmills boast a number of features, even though it is the least expensive model that the company offers.
First and foremost, it features a 16″ X 50″ surface on which to run/walk, giving plenty of room for most people’s strides. It also features a large 5″ display screen, from which you can view all of your stats, such as pace, miles traveled, estimated calories burned, amount of incline, and workout time.
The display board features the ability to increase or decrease your speed manually from 0.5 to 10 mph. If you want to quickly change speeds, it also gives you the option of using the quick speed buttons. These are like shortcuts that allow you to change speeds from 1 to 9mph at the touch of one button.
If you want to just focus on the running, the display also allows you to choose from 12 different workout programs that allow you to do various speed intervals. The intervals feature steady increases, sharp increases, plateaus, steady decreases, and sharp decreases in speed to give you the most variety.
In addition to the speed settings, the TR150 allows you to manually change the incline between 3 heights to give extra challenge to your workout.
As for the design, it features a 2.25HP motor that is smooth and quiet throughout your time exercising and the running surface is cushioned to absorb shock and lessen the stress on your joints as you go.
To save on space, the running deck can be folded upwards to lessen the overall footprint and the base has wheels so you can conveniently move it wherever you need to use it, or even in and out of storage when you are done.
When the treadmill is unfolded, it carries a footprint of 63.4” x 28.75” x 51.4”, and when folded the footprint is 28.5” x 28.75” x 61”. The entire machine weighs only 109.3 LBS and can carry a maximum weight of 250 LBS.
The frame is made of heavy steel for maximum durability and the console features two cargo areas that can carry a combination of your water bottle, music player, remote control, phone, etc.
To each side of the console, there are two handles which feature hand grip pulse sensors to keep you within your best range for burning the most calories and getting the most effective workout.
The treadmill also requires a 110v plug-in, so there is no battery operated option.
Lastly, the TR150 comes with several warranties including a lifetime warranty on the frame, 1-year on the motor, and 90 days for parts and labor.
Now it’s time to look at what I find most appealing about the XTERRA TR150 Folding Treadmill. As we have mentioned, it boasts a number of features, but there are a few that stand out to me in the most positive light:
- Need For Speed: Having the ability to go between 0.5 and 10mph is plenty of speed for the average user. Let’s face it, there are probably machines on the market that can go faster, but how many of us out there are Usain Bolt and would need that?
- The Stats You Need: Being able to count your estimated calories, miles, pace, speed, time, and especially pulse are all you need to track in order to get an effective workout. The TR150 features all of these!
- 12 Intervals: Being able to choose between so many interval workouts is a great way to mix things up and assure yourself that you won’t get bored with doing the same thing over and over again. Read more from the Mayo Clinic about why interval workouts should be part of your regular routine.
- No Need To Turn Up The Volume: Sometimes, treadmills can be a downright noise nuisance. That’s why the quiet motor is much appreciated and doesn’t make me feel like I have to exile myself to another room in order to work out!
- Cushioned Running Experience: According to Everyday Health, the surface you run on is extremely important for your joint health. Thankfully the TR150 features a cushioned running surface that can really minimize your joint stress!
- Save My Space!: When I was looking for a treadmill, one of my first priorities was to find one that folded up and could be moved easily. For those with limited space, it is crucial before purchasing any type of workout equipment that it be space-friendly. Thankfully the TR150 folds nicely and features wheels to conveniently move it when and where you need.
- Durability: The solid frame and maximum weight of 250 LBS gives me confidence that it will last a long time for most users (See Cons below for more on this).
- Convenience: Being able to store a variety of items such as a water bottle and music player (especially for those longer runs!) is a clutch addition to keep you going.
- Price: There are some treadmills out there that cost a small fortune, yet either carry only a few extra features than the TR150 does at a fraction of the price. The fact that it is currently on sale also makes this a complete bargain!
- Customer Service: I always like to see that a company cares about those it serves. The added warranties let me know that I am covered in case something goes wrong. Check out the video for tips on how to make your TR150 last as long as you do:
As you saw in the video, he used a lubricant for the belt, which you can purchase HERE or with the link at the end of this post.
While there are definitely a lot of positives to the XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill, there are some definite trade-offs when it comes to purchasing a less expensive machine. Whether these are deal-breakers is for you to decide, but I want to give the most honest review possible!
That being said, here are my cons:
- Manual Incline Setting: Many treadmills come with the ability to increase or decrease your incline with the touch of a button, however, the TR150 cannot. You have to pull and shift a pin manually to change the incline, which means either doing it before, or getting off the treadmill during your workout to change the setting.
- Somewhat Limiting Weight Limit: Carrying a maximum of 250 LBS isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but when you consider that others can carry heavier, it’s a little disappointing.
- 12 Is Good, But More Would Be Better: The 12 interval programs are a great feature, but other, more expensive models have more than 20.
- Prop 65 Warning: You see this in California all the time just walking on the street, so it’s not too much of a worry, but it is good to be informed about the possibility of being exposed to potentially harmful chemicals.
A Review Of The Reviews
It’s one thing to take my word for it, but I always like to provide a look at how others have viewed a product. Therefore, here is the Amazon star breakdown for the XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill:
Out of 852 Total Reviews:
- 376 5-Star Reviews (58%)
- 117 4-Star Reviews (19%)
- 40 3-Star Reviews (7%)
- 35 2-Star Reviews (5%)
- 84 1-Star Reviews (1%)
I like to review products that have a lot of reviews because I think it gives a better cross-section overall of the consensus. For the TR150, you have a very positive user view (77% of reviews are 4 or 5 stars!), giving me confidence that this is a worthwhile purchase.
The Verdict – Run (Or Walk) To Get This Great Budget Option
The XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill is a great model to purchase for someone who is not looking to spend a lot of money and doesn’t need a ton of features, but still wants to get a great indoor cardio workout.
It’s got all the essentials, if not all the bells and whistles, but that’s quite possibly all you need!
If you are looking to start walking or running and need a suggestion for a good shoe, check out my review of the ASICS Gel Contend 5’s!
Now it’s your turn! What do you think of the TR150? Does it have what you are looking for or is it a little too basic for your liking? Is there another budget-friendly model that you know of that I should take a look at?
What are your thoughts on treadmills in general and what has been your experience? Positive or negative, I want to hear from you in the comments section!
If you are convinced that this is the treadmill for you, then feel free to click on any of the provided links (that bear the product’s name) or below to be taken directly to the purchasing page!
As always, if you have any questions, or feel I wasn’t clear enough about some aspect, please let me know! I’d be happy to answer any question you may have to the best of my ability.
Lastly, if you know someone who is looking for a budget-friendly treadmill, please take the time to click one or more of the share buttons that have been following you down the page! I really appreciate the support!
For now, God bless and happy workouts!